Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there i was, washing my car and after i took a little drive. Then my oil pressure gauge went down to nothing and my rpms started to go from 2-3k back and forth.. and my car died... so i pushed it to a near parking lot. Poped the hood and it seemed to be hotter than ussual but my gauges showed nothing. A random guy passed by and he asked me what happened, so i told him. He said i needed a new cap for something near the coil pack... and i have no idea what he was talking about.. So after a few more min of talking i decided to try and start it again and ran just fine. So i babied it back home, and there it sits for now. Any idea on what happened??

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
you got water on something and you should not have and it dried out is mu guess

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
#1 "random guy" didn't understand the car and didn't help you. The Focus (and generally any Ford built after about 1994 has a 'distributorless ignition' which) uses a 'coil pack'. On the Focus it looks like this:

random Google image

If water gets inside the towers it can and will reduce the voltage through the spark plug wires, which can cause a misfire or otherwise odd running situations. Being you'd just washed the car it's a good bet something got wet ... a higher than normal idle may suggest the Mass Air Sensor (or air filter) got a bit wet.

To be safe, pull the spark plug boots one by one and see if any are wet. Soak up any water/oil with a rag. The air filter/MAF will dry on it's own.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts