Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My zx3 is griding that damn third gear. From what I've read, it's the syncro, but what should I do to alleviate (fix) this problem?
It's seriously annoying, because if I'm not in the perfect RPM range to shift, it grinds until it's finally down to it.....

Lighter flywheel, short shifter??? What do I need to get to fix this?
I'm not under warenty, so I'll have to bite the bullet on this one, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
969 Posts
It's the syncros. You'll need to do a rebuild of the tranny. Sadly, it's an issue that impacts all MTX-75 equipped cars - Contour/Mystique/Mondeo/Cougar, Focus, and Escape. (only cars I could think of that use this tranny) In my experience, second and third gear are impacted by the grind, with third gear getting it the worst. It happened on my 99 Contour SE Sport (lived with it), and has also happened repeatedly on my 02 focus (has been in three times for rebuild due to the third gear grind and it's starting to occur again).

The third gear grind is a syncros pack issue. Ford has known about this issue since 1995 (when the mtx-75 debuted in the Contour) and made several syncro updates to address this issue, and strangely enough - none of them seem to last more than 20-30k. If you intend on not having to go through this issue in the future - get a different car. It's less hassle, transmissions have never been Ford's strong point. Let's see - the Aerostar/Ranger automatic tranny failures of the late 80's, early 90's, the Taurus/Sable and the transaxles that fail at 100k, the automatic transaxles used in the Contour/Mystique/Probe, Mazda 626/mx6.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damnit...

How much will the rebuild cost me?
Like, fords price, and then a private price, and then Could I do it myself??
If so, what do syncro's go for?

Do the aforementioned shifter and flywheel help at all?

·
Registered
113 Posts
The shifter and flywheel won't help the syncros at all. You just need to have your transaxle rebuilt.

As for doing it yourself, that depends on how brave or mechanically inclined you are. I rebuilt the T-5 in the Mustang I had, and even with a manual telling me how it was a little daunting.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Also, be aware that some special tools may be necessary. I don't know on the MTX-75, but on the T-5 I had to have a dial indicator and a tool to pull the bearings off the shaft.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what am I looking at price wise?

·
teh tranny killer
3,130 Posts
dude seriously, just be patient putting it into third, and only grind it during races..my syncros have been grinding for a year and my 3rd still works, just gotta be soft with it..there no point in rebuilding the tranny cuz its just gonna start grindin again

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
...or you could get in the habit of double-clutching when you shift, and then you don't need syncros at all. Cars used to not even have them and you had to learn how to match revs before shifting.

If you're serious about getting it fixed, I'd suggest going the route of buying a salvage or (if the price is right) crate transmission. I can tell you from experience that a dealership will charge you about $600 just to take the box off the car, on top of whatever else they do in parts and labor. On the other hand, you could get a used transmission from focussalvage.com (run by v6focus on here) for $450 + S&H from West Virginia and do it yourself...it would cost FAR less than taking it to a shop and having them rebuild the top shaft syncro.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Someone has a bunch of crate transmissions on eBay, $400 plus $125 shipping. Not going to guess what an install would cost...

EDIT: They're listed for '04 2.0L engines - I would assume they'd fit your '02, but I'd double check...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool, thanks a lot guys. I appreciate the help greatly.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
if you have an extended warranty you can get ford to fix it since there was a TSB. i had mine done by them last month for $100 since apparently i have a deductable for my warranty. they also put in a new valve cover gasket. can't complain. cost me basically what the parts costs, and i didn't have to do the work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just a question, but what are you guys doing to your transmissions to cause this? Is it just a massive amount of shift, or are you guys powershifting. Ive had the same tranny in my 01 since factory and I rarely have a grind. If I do its usually my fault.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Personally?
Mine went out in a race. But my bet would be massive stress loads on the transmission when you shift, and then slamming the shifter into place (adrenaline pumping tends to have it's drawbacks I'm afraid) and giving it the gas...Yea. Thats what did it on mine.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
wassona said:
Just a question, but what are you guys doing to your transmissions to cause this? Is it just a massive amount of shift, or are you guys powershifting. Ive had the same tranny in my 01 since factory and I rarely have a grind. If I do its usually my fault.
if you shift slowly all the time it really isn't an issue but if you get on it every so often it can show up pretty fast. i didn't start noticing it until 50-55k miles or so and then had it fixed at 68. it got to the point where no matter how much i babied it, how low i shifted into third it would grind. for awhile (before i had a chance to get it fixed) i was shifting from 2 to 4th just so i wouldn't have to worry about hearing that grind/ cause more damage than was already done. i've noticed it going from 1-2 about twice but i think ford just put in their crappy transmission fluid. when i get the oppertunity i'm going to swap it out and do a big 75k service(coolant, hoses, brake fluid, trans fluid, new plugs, wires, belts, tensioners, pumps etc. should be like new when i'm finished with it)

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Seems to be luck (or lack thereof [:D]) of the draw...I have 72,000 miles on my MTX-75 and I typically shift pretty hard, and I rarely get a grind going into third, usually its because the clutch isn't completely in. Like I mentioned earlier, if your syncro does go out you can just double-clutch when shifting and it'll go in smoothly every time, I'm starting to make a habit of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For some reason, I dont need to push the clutch in all the way. Even if I do get into a race I just push the clutch down to my normal shift point, shift, throttle and go. But Im also running Royal Purple in the pan, and I dont race enough to be considerd a racer. Even so, I've got 120,xxx miles on my tranny and have yet to see a problem. ( I probably will now though)

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
^
Could be an indication that your clutch is wearing/worn out, if you don't have to push the pedal that far it means the clutch doesn't have to get moved as far for the transmission to disengage.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SkaAddict said:
^
Could be an indication that your clutch is wearing/worn out, if you don't have to push the pedal that far it means the clutch doesn't have to get moved as far for the transmission to disengage.
I.E: A bad thing?

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Yeah...a clutch wearing out typically isn't a good thing because you have to replace it, and its not fun. One question, is the engagement point at the very end of your pedal travel?

·
Registered
613 Posts
hkysk8r07 did you buy an extended warantee after buying the car
or when you bought it did you get the esp

1 - 20 of 20 Posts