Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car only starts if i hold the gas pedal down and it doesnt matter if its cold or hot. if it was off overnight or just for a second it requires me to hold the gas pedal down to get the thing started. when it is running it runs rich, you can smell it just a little, and i just got a cel for the system being too rich. also crappy mpgs...

the other cel's is for a cylinder 2 misfire and evap emissions control. gross air flow.

i have a feeling the misfire is because the spark plugs are fouled and the emissions one is because the car is rich AF and is spitting unburned fuel into the air. this is just speculation.

now i have it narrowed down to the IACV or FPR because i tested for air leaks using starting fluid and sprayed just after the MAF and all around the TB. no rise in rpm at all.

i dont think its the fuel pump because its too rich and if it was i would have shitty acceleration all the time. but i don't, only when the car starts and it only seems to run a little rich. so i assume its only the FPR...? if its a fuel problem...

now i am leaning against the IACV because i THINK i unplugged it while running and the car dropped rpm and wanted to die. plugged back in and rpms were dandy. now ill describe what i unplugged to make sure it was the IACV. between the firewall and intake mani just below the TB there is a little plug with two tabs on them. press those and pull and it comes out and sucks a bunch of air in.

im sorry if i seem cranky, just mad that this started happening.... [:(] [bawling]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Forget IAC, FPR is where I'd guess first.

Pull it's vacuum hose to look for fuel there.

(Hose connection pulled off wouldn't be IAC BTW)

EVAP would be next to start checking out.

(Moved to general Tech Chat for more looks)

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
silver thing pull one end off and if fuel leaks out that's it? anything special about pulling out or putting back in?

and i did pull the IACV right? and according to what happened its fine?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yeah, thing on fuel rail. Should have elec. connector & vacuum hose.

Doesn't sound like you pulled IAC, sounds like a vacuum hose connection.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I pulled a hose, pretty sure just a normal fuel line, off of the fuel rail. Assuming fuel rain is the long silver thing just above the intake mani. It had a C shaped thing that you pressed together and it popped right out. 1-3 drops came out while the car was off. Couldn't tell how many since it happened faster than I had expected.

Did I pull the right hose?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I've been looking for zetec pictures/listings for the pressure sensor. It's right in the center of the rail on the duratecs, easy to find. It's there somewhere, PCM needs to know the pressure to regulate it!

Found a picture of the location, it's at the timing belt end of the fuel rail.

Has to have wires attached, can't prove from the pics if there is a vacuum line to it (one looks like it, another pic doesn't).

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
Yeah, looks like the catalog wins the day once again, that part is NOT the tank sensor which simply screws in place by hand. That looks like the rail sensor, or the part shown here.........

http://www.justanswer.com/ford/6eb1k-ford-focus-se-2002-ford-focus-se-zetec-engine.html

The item in the line art pic marked #1. Yours may be different shape but that is it at the end of the rail. More than one type used, you'll want a match for yours if you can get it. I found one like in sailor's link and another smaller box-shaped one, they may interchange. If you have vacuum hose on yours the replacement must as well.

Like he said, not the IAC, which is under the top of the intake and why you ain't finding it. Problem could be a leaking injector too.

·
Registered
753 Posts

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
The wonder of the net, I found and copied link then brought it back but PC wouldn't back up to the FF page, then went manually and the damn thing dropped the copied link, oh computers........then could not find link I had just easily found seconds before, krikey.

I'm getting old and stupid................

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So that plastic piece your linking me to, how do I test it?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
So that plastic piece your linking me to, how do I test it?
Did you find a vacuum line coming off of that?

You'd want to pull that line & check for any evidence of fuel getting in there.

Next question. When you pulled the line off yesterday, I assume it was at the other end of the rail? A few drips there isn't good either, should still have some fuel pressure there. Was it shut off for a long time?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Question: Which side is the fuel inline for the fuel rail?

I assume that the end where the FRP Sensor isn't it but if the other side was pulled off, there would have been somewhere between 0-40 PSI in the line unless he had pulled the fuel pump fuse/relay and started the vehicle which would have used what fuel was in the line till it stalled from lack of fuel.

@nboyles85737: It would be a big help if we could get a picture of the areas in question and that those pictures were of a decent quality.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You're assuming correctly Humphrey.

Fuel pump check valve is SUPPOSED to keep most of the pressure in there for quite a while, aids in normal starting without a long wait (cranking) for pressure to build.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Being that only a few drops was seen by him, I guess he pulled the vacuum line and not the fuel inlet cause if it was the fuel inlet then he would have had a face full of fuel- or he de-pressured it before hand which I doubt. Also could be that his pump isn't keeping the pressure or he has a leak.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright it stopped raining. I'll show you what I pulled...

When I set the car to the on position a bunch of fuel jumped out.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The line my finger is on...?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Well, at least the pump pumps.

It's tryin' to get 40 psi, so watch out!

Dang dude, I posted the first part before I saw your picture.

Just the one hose I see, correct? Follow that back past the flying saucer, it should go to the intake.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts