Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Tuesday (5/2/06), i'm washing my car from top to bottom. After finishing up i go to start the car and bam... the key didn't even turn. At first i thought i had the wrong key (i also have a Taurus) but nope, i tried using the spare key and nothing. I called a local lock smith and told him about my problem. He mentioned that it is common on the Focus for the Egnition cylinder to go bad. I relpaced it with a "newer, re-desighned" cylinder. It was about $ 90.00 bucks for parts and labor, plus he had to drive 13 miles to my house (i live in the country side). So, if any of you seem to have your cylinder stuck some times, i would recommend replacing it soon. Any one else with this prob??

·
Capt. Urn
5,491 Posts
it is a pretty common problem on the focus as the locksmith said (though i fortunatly have not encoutered it)

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
I would have sent you the new cylinder built to match your car with a spare door key for $65.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Acutally, you were really lucky! #1 it happened at home, and #2 it only ran you $90...
Yeah, if you search on ignition switches or cylinder locks on here you'll get lots of threads. Particularly with the earlier Focus' it seems to be not if but when...

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
General comment:

I've got the 2005 model with the new cylinder, but if I had an older Focus and planned on keeping it for a few years, I would probably spend the money to replace the lock cylinder with the newer version before it gave a problem, purely as a preventative measure. It seems to be a rather common occurance and, if it freezes up, it may be at a very inconvenient time. Also, if you cannot get the key out, it will be much more costly to drill out and replace. Spending a smaller amount of money now, at your convenience, is something everyone should think about.

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
b16sir1991 said:
I would have sent you the new cylinder built to match your car with a spare door key for $65.
Now you tell me.... hey what ever happend to the bumper subject we had been pming each other about??

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Sorry "flea" i thought i answered everything, PM me again, thanks man. Penguin, thats a good idea and worth the peace of mind.

·
Registered
613 Posts
well me I drove for a few months with my cylinder in that condition
solution, put the key in and tap the back of it very sharply (hammer or fist)
started everytime for me, and actually after a month sometimes
it woudlnt' even need the tap, kinda started fixing itself took it to the dealer and they fixed it along with my steering wheel blot backing off, just over a weekend

·
Registered
733 Posts
your lucky you got away with it only being $90 , mine also happened to me in my driveway but I had to get it to the dealership because every locksmith I called said they couldn't do it, so with towing and parts and labor it ran me about $200 and to top it all off when I picked up my car it was after hours and I get in the car to find metal shaving all over the place where they drilled out the ignition, you would think they would have vacuumed the shavings but I guess no such luck!!!

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i did try the tapping thingy but it didn't work. I tapped it hard but nothing. I even tried an extra key i have.

And, yup PL (Puro Latino) i also got the metal shavings all over my floor, but heck, the guy did go all the way to my house the same day it happened at 9:30 p.m. , honestly, i didn't even care about the mess. I guess it was good it did happen at my house, this way no tow truck was involved.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yeah, on my '00 ZTS it went last summer, cost me 150 CDN to replace, done by Ford. Yeah and i tried the tapping thing to, i even started hitting with a hammer and that didnt even work

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
I whent through 3 on my 00 focus.

First two times I got it fixed by ford 150 each time, 3rd time I did some reasearch found out ford KNOWS about the problem and its the cylinder that keeps screwing up but they refuse to pull the parts and keep selling them. So I bought a diffrent brand, had it keyed to my car (so I kept my keys) and never had a problem. The car is now sold and I ecpect it to still be fine, all together that costed me 130.00 50 for the locksmith to replace and 80 for the part and rekeying.

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah! I bet they kept putting in the Factory kind. The lock smith said the dealer used the same cylinders all the time, and that it was better and cheaper the get it fixed with a locksmith, since they use the revised ones.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Please contact me as I need one

b16sir1991 said:
I need one and I was looking at the dealer until i read this,, please pm me

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
PM sent...........

·
Registered
279 Posts
Well, this is beginning to my 03 ZX5! Luckily it should be covered under warranty, and hopefully they can get my car in and fix it asap as we need the car. I can still turn the key, if I apply firm pressure pushing the key in and twisting. Hopefully, it won't freeeze completely while I wait to get into see the dealer.

Tell me something, if a dealer replaces the ignition cylinder, is it a quick job, or does it take a few days?

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
I'm surprised that all of you have had to pay. The Ford dealer here is terrible, but they have replaced each one for free...granted, the first three times it locked, they replaced it with the original style one whereas the fourth one was a completely different one (the redesigned one, I think) and I haven't had problems since then, which was about 1 1/2 years ago...Hopefully I continue to have it working properly.

Mike

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
Gachi said:
Tell me something, if a dealer replaces the ignition cylinder, is it a quick job, or does it take a few days?
It should only take a few hours at most, if they have the parts and the time to get your car in that day...I think it was only once that my car was at the dealership overnight.

Mike

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Contrary to what superflea said, the lock smiths use the ones from Ford (at least they do here). No Ford dealer should be putting in the old ones anymore since theyre not ava anymore. If its the right one, the part# should be sw-6285.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts