Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I already know I have to replace the brakes and rotors, I hear a chirping when the transmission changes which I was told is probably a serpentine belt and pulley and now when I turn I hear a really loud squeeking sound that literally just started today and was told it’s probably my power steering pump so now I have to replace all this stuff and I haven’t even had the car a month and I have absolutely no money to fix it all

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The squeaking sound, I'm curious if it might be your lower control arm ball joints... Usually the pump is described as sounding like a whine, not a squeak. Prioritize a list. I'd say the brakes would be most important depending on how much pad you have left. Even though it's frowned on, you can always just do a pad slap and skip surfacing the rotors. It will save you money but can wear your pads prematurely. As long as the transmission isn't jerking between shifts, I'd say you have some time to set that aside. Change the fluid and see how it acts after. And potential squeaky ball joints isn't a big deal. It's annoying, yes, but hardly a priority.

1. Brakes
2. Transmission fluid
3. Investigate the squeak (ball joints, or have a friend turn the wheel while you track down the noise).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The squeaking sound, I'm curious if it might be your lower control arm ball joints... Usually the pump is described as sounding like a whine, not a squeak. Prioritize a list. I'd say the brakes would be most important depending on how much pad you have left. Even though it's frowned on, you can always just do a pad slap and skip surfacing the rotors. It will save you money but can wear your pads prematurely. As long as the transmission isn't jerking between shifts, I'd say you have some time to set that aside. Change the fluid and see how it acts after. And potential squeaky ball joints isn't a big deal. It's annoying, yes, but hardly a priority.

1. Brakes
2. Transmission fluid
3. Investigate the squeak (ball joints, or have a friend turn the wheel while you track down the noise).
I already had the rotors surfaced and that’s when the sound actually started, and brakes had 6mm on them, transmission fluid is fine

·
Registered
895 Posts
It could be your belt slipping. Very easy to change the power steering fluid on these cars. They uses automatic transmission fluid. You can simply suck it out the reservoir and refill with new.

Your brakes have plenty of material left. Power steering pumps don't squeak they whine.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I
It could be your belt slipping. Very easy to change the power steering fluid on these cars. They uses automatic transmission fluid. You can simply suck it out the reservoir and refill with new.

Your brakes have plenty of material left. Power steering pumps don't squeak they whine.

I already did the power steering fluid it didn’t help

·
Registered
895 Posts
Like I said brakes have plenty of material.
It's a noise you can live with it or fix it.

I've never heard a power steering pump squeak except when the belt was slipping on it.
If you turn the steering wheel and hold it does it keep squeaking? or does it only squeak when you turn the steering wheel?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like I said brakes have plenty of material.
It's a noise you can live with it or fix it.

I've never heard a power steering pump squeak except when the belt was slipping on it.
If you turn the steering wheel and hold it does it keep squeaking? or does it only squeak when you turn the steering wheel?

I had a mechanic drive it he said he believes it’s the CV axle or control arm he’s gonna check the weekend and tell me for sure

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Okay so I already know I have to replace the brakes and rotors, I hear a chirping when the transmission changes which I was told is probably a serpentine belt and pulley and now when I turn I hear a really loud squeeking sound that literally just started today and was told it’s probably my power steering pump so now I have to replace all this stuff and I haven’t even had the car a month and I have absolutely no money to fix it all
It would be nice if you told us what year/model/transmission/milage you have.

Paul

·
Registered
15,785 Posts
We are now in a world where they never think enough to do that.........Trump 2020 you know.

Remember what was said at the belt shirping, the next thing it does is slip at steering load to squeak.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I hate to pizz on anyone’s parade, but it’s a 15 year old car with 86,000 miles, not a new car. Like others have said, prioritize the work & knock one thing at a time off the list. With that said, I’ve never turned rotors. If they’re not scored badly, run them with new pads. If they are in bad shape, just replace them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I never sai
I hate to pizz on anyone’s parade, but it’s a 15 year old car with 86,000 miles, not a new car. Like others have said, prioritize the work & knock one thing at a time off the list. With that said, I’ve never turned rotors. If they’re not scored badly, run them with new pads. If they are in bad shape, just replace them.
I never said it was a NEW car in general I just said it’s my new car as In new to me as In I just bought it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Prepare for the worst..when my starter went out... everything started tearing up.... alternator...brakes... wheel bearing...clutch.... reservoir busted...hoses busted...spent 2500 in a couple months....but I don't have a car payment...things are gonna break... doesn't last forever

1 - 13 of 13 Posts