Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sooooooooooo.................. after much debait i have decided to cut my springs. I know it will be much more worth it to buy the 300 dollar springs, HA!!!!!! WRONG!!!!! LOL, anyway im doin it, here is a list of things i got, i have some shorter shocks even though im only takeing it down like 1.5 to 2.0 inches, the only reason i got new shorter shocks is past 2 inches shocks will bottom out the first bump u hit so i got em. I will post pic's and how everything goes and how the car actually preforms, even if it sucks im sittin here lookin at my brand new oem replacements, i got those to hahahaha just in case

peace
knox

·
Registered
343 Posts
umm I don't normally say this about people and their projects but, this sounds highly stupid to me. I've heard of how cutting springs really can mess up your car.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
wow thats nice and........ghetto, serisouly youre going to screw alot of stuff up

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
There is a reason why certain suspension kits cost a lot of money. A lot of engineering goes into making them perform correctly. They just don't cut off coils.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
If you're really set on this, make sure you update the thread in 6 weeks, when all 4 dampers are leaking badly and you're cracked your rear control arms from bottoming out on every road imperfection. We, apparently, need more reasons why this ends up being a bad idea.

At least you have OEM replacements on hand, you'll probably be getting a lot of practice installing suspension...

EDIT'ed for stupid typo. It's 7:40, hopefully nobody caught that...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Read Please. This is from another website.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is science really.

You CAN cut a spring if you want. However it is not recomended because a spring (well, most stock springs) are set to a certian resistance (in pounds) across the length of the spring. Cutting off one coil will change the travel allowance in a relationship with the distnce of allowed suspensiona travel (not the resisance) and you will have issues with bottoming out your dampeners and knocking your bump stops.

For ease let us say that the Focus has 100 pound springs (it doesn't). It has been calculated that that resistance over the compression distance allowed by stock springs will not over exert the suspension (dampeners). So lets say that at maximum we can add 300 pounds of pressure to a spring while turing in a corner. Thus the spring theretically compresses 3 inches (not really what happens but isjust an example). At stock height the engineers figured on this dynamic and allowed 3.5 inches of travel in the suspension and valved the dampeners to compensate. No Problems.

Now, Slippy Cornersmasher decides that he wishes to just cut the spring. Being told by an internet "friend" that he should be sure to cut exactly one or two FULL coils off. (cutting uneven coils would bind the struts since it will not assamble properly). Slippy promptly invites his pal Billy Blowtorch over to cut off two coils to give that "Bitchin" low-rider look. In doing so they have reduced the travel of the suspencion by 1 to 1.5 inches giving at MAXIMUM 2.5 inches of travel on our theretical Focus model. However the resistance of the spring remains the same (we are dealing with linear spring here, a progressive rate spring would of course change our example but effect would be simular). Thus Slippy takes his new lower ride for an "agressive" ride through the local twisties. As our now endangered friend pushes the 300 pounds of pressure onto a shortened stock spring in a very hard corner, the spring does exactly as it was designed to do. It compresses 3 full inches... But WAIT... Slippy's new suspension has only 2.5 inches of compression. At the point of full compression the bumpstops contact the A-arm in a very resounding manner. (Let's not forget to mention the dampeners have reached their limit of pressure as well, they could blow a gasket at this point assing to our problems) The suspension no longer gives the corner absorbing qualities it did only a second before, and it changes attitude at mid corner... Hopefully our test subject Slippy has enough experience to keep the car under control and returns home safely, if not he becomes as his name infers, a corner smasher.

There are safty issues at stake here. As well at the destruction of your dampeners (that may be the first thing others tell you). Since they are valved for a differend pressure then you will be puttign on them. Of course this is an issue even if you buy lowering springs and put them on stock dampeners.

This will not happen every time, and the dampeners may last you a wile. But these are the reasons for not cutting springs.

I do not condem someone who cuts springs. Or does something else I find silly (big wings included). However, please be kind enough to understand that you WILL have people telling you it is wrong if you cut the springs. I recomend lowering it, It improves handeling and it does inprove the look of a ZX3 for sure. Just research how low, and EXACTLY what you want so you do it right. Wait and save up money.

There are lots of knowlegable people here that can help with finding what is right for you. Be humble and ask.

This story is brought to you by the Letter "S" as in "OH S[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]!!!" and by those of us that remember loosing one of our own to a big truck and a corner taken at too high of a speed.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I like that story - helpful and humorous too [:)] Because you bought new dampers (assuming they're shorter new dampers, you won't have the leaking problem. But you will have the bottoming-out problem, and LCA's don't tend to have very favorable damping characterstics when they're pressed hard against bumpstops. That's why they may brake.

Going to thread-jack for a second here...Sorry! [:(] [offtopic] I plan to add SVT springs to my ST. As far as I've been able to determine, ST dampers are comparable if not identical to SVT dampers. Does anyone know if I'll wreck my dampers by using the slightly shorter SVT springs? Thanks for any input and sorry again to butt in on your post. [:(] Just don't want to have any parts break on my car!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Just buy some springs, and then buy dampers down the road man.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Definitely the biggest mistake you can possibly make on a car................ glad it's yours.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Bigal's referenced story is partially correct. It failed to mention that as you cut coils the spring rate is increased. It may not be increased enough (depending on the initial rate) to offset the weight transfer and travel reduction described. Occasionally (but rarely) you might get lucky and things will balance out. Simply stated if you cut one full coil from a ten coil spring you increase the spring rate 10%. You cut one coil from a five coil spring the rate is increased 20%. The cutting process itself creates heat and easily detempers the steel which can cause the coil next to the cut to sag or even bind. Due to all these variables cutting springs isn't even a cheap solution.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Wow. I can't believe you would actually still do this after everyone posted about it.

Its your loss, man.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
i bought a civic that had its springs cut, and man it drives like shit!

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
<< one more vote for no right here

will most likely be total PYOOOOP

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
yeah save that $300 you'll need it to replace your control arms and leaky dampeners ;)

hell you could get drop zone springs for $50 all day long! atleast do that.

·
Thread Killer
2,711 Posts
WOW!!! Just to be different I say do it [thumb]

Cause I wanna see pics of the carnage that will be your ride afterwards [;)]

I speak from EXPERIANCE, the spring fell off the damper and.........You can imagin

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I vote go for it, if you live through it it should be interesting reading [rofl]

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
a friend of mine, with a slammed saturn and cut springs had the spring fall out and he dragged the bottom of his car across the speed bump....

another friend of mine, cut 1"-1.5" off the coils for his toyota corrola, and it didn't ride too horrible... kinda kinda horrible.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts