Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking around and I see that the turbo manifolds are the same style as the 4-1 ram horn style header. that being said i have a t3 that has been sitting for EVER in the corner I know the flanges are different as well as the WG, but I think I can make a flange to adapt the header to the turbo and run the WG just after the turbo . I think it will work granted all I have now is the intercooler and turbo with the header on its way and I know I got a long way to go with getting the rest of the parts but its a possible start and if not I will just use it as a header. Whatta u think?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Wastegate = exhaust relief for turbo to maintain a set PSI.... It won't do anything if it is mounted after the turbo. It either needs to be:

External - Before turbo, usually on the manifold or in between the turbo and manifold.

Internal - Routed thru downpipe

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Turbo manifolds are generally thicker than plain headers... they need to be stronger to support all the extra weight.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
Is this T3 and internal WG and your switching to External? Or is it just External?

Pic of your manifold?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
its a external type WG heres the header
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__Focus-00-01-02-03-06-Zetec-DOHC-2-0L-Performance-Header_W0QQitemZ110309828474QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadiZ2865QQddiZ2811QQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item110309828474&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A713%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
yeah its a ebay header but I cant afford/dont see the piont of buying a name brand one the is basically the same thing. if need be I will run the WG between the header and the turbo I am sure there is a way to give the support it needs, in the end its all about trial and error considering I have never done this before just spent hours researching it and studying others cars. I know its gonna be hard but I am looking forward to the challenge

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Nice red X you have there.........

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
Dont buy a ebay header it shit chinese metal that is not up to grade. and its usaully thin metal. they crack within a few hundred miles

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
That wont work.

#1 Hits A/C
#2 DP Flange wont match turbo
#3 Header Flange doesnt match a "Good" Turbo.

You will spend more money fabricating it to fit and work, than just buying the correct manifold.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Dont buy a ebay header it shit chinese metal that is not up to grade. and its usaully thin metal. they crack within a few hundred miles
Very true! So much of the metal they use is crap. We see similar things where I work. Something that is supposed to be identical to a part we get from Germany gets about half the life if we are lucky!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
if your gunna make a shorty header into a turbo mani, mind as well buy mine and experiment with it.

thsi anit no chines crap header, this is a ford racing shorty header. <--- the one i got

·
Registered
39 Posts
You could always do what we did to one focus at work.. now this was using spare parts including a SRT or Turbo PT manifold and turbo.. fabricated a wastegate section from the 3 bolt flange on the shorty header down to a t3 or t4 turbo flange.. your preference there. Then we chopped or milled out rather the turbo scroll from the manifold and mig & tig welded a flange onto the scroll section and bolted it up and there you go..

·
Registered
592 Posts
If you are wanting to use the stock manifold or something of the same sort, Get ahold of Tom at focus power. I know he use to make an adapter from the manifold to the turbo.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
I have a turbo manifold for sale too if you are interested, $125, I will posting it with pictures tonight or tomorrow in the BST forums.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts