Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Across the Pond
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently came a cross a wrecked Subaru WRX that a friend of mine is hacking out parts, and he asked if I wanted the turbo from it.

What I would like to know is if this turbo will work in a setup for the SVT. I know it's cooled by coolant instead of oil, so issues may arise from that?

Also, If I bought an ORP and moved the cat down the exhaust stream, would that still work for emissions and a turbo exhaust?

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
I can't comment on the turbo. The ORP deletes the cat. You would move the cat to far away from the engine for it to be effective. If you want a cat then get a high flow, if you don't want a cat get a orp.

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
The turbo.will work but you need a manifold that will.work with it

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
I know it's cooled by coolant instead of oil, so issues may arise from that?
The center cartridge is cooled by coolant but it will still need an oil feed and return to lubricate the bearings.

I'm sure with some custom work on a manifold and downpipe, you could make it fit.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
A waste of work, I think. The WRX turbo is not big at all. I'd go with a brand new journal bearing Garrett if you want to keep costs down. I'm running a 50 trim, but you might want something a little smaller if you want quick spool.

·
Across the Pond
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm a fabricator by trade, so I can make the manifold and downpipe. Just need to get my hands on the turbo itself to get a better idea af what i need to do.

I'm not looking for a huge gain in pwoer, just a nice boost, hence why I'm trying out this idea.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Anything will work with enough time and money. But is it worth it? Probably not. Also if your buddy has a Catless down pipe, I could use one for my wife's WRX

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
2002? yeah those are like a dime a dozen on nasioc. I forget the official name of it but its the 2.0 wrx turbo and pretty small. I have one as well that I got for $30 a long time ago and its just been sitting in my trunk.

It has a weird down pipe flange but they do sell them. custom work for sure though.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Its an IHI-TD04. They make around 14-15lbs of boost on a subie and will hit full spool at about 2700 depending on your headers/up-pipe.

If you are going to do it custom anyways and think this will hit your target numbers, go for it. People are constantly pulling them to upgrade and you can find decent used ones for >$150...and that like 30k on them.

You can get flanges off up and down pipes cheap. Some WRX's and early model forester xt's had a cat in the up-pipe and people will give them away as doorstoppers.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Or you could rock my OEM turbo, the mighty k04!!! People make over 300whp on them with a little meth and 93oct. Our heads flow like shit and we only rev to 6700.

·
Across the Pond
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm only looking to make about 250hp max. It's my DD and i really don't need that much power right off the bat. I'd like to ease into FI and not blow-up my engine.

·
Across the Pond
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also, what would be the recommended charge pipe diameter? As I said before, I am a fabricator by trade so i have the resources to get material and weld up everything.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Can never go wrong with 2.5". You can run small turbos and fairly big turbos with that size.

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
I like my 2.5" charge piping.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts