Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the hunt for a newer Focus (2012 or 13) and am a bit nervous about all these complaints about the transmissions! But it seems like they're really only complaining about the new automatics...

How are the manuals?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Same basic manual (adapted to fit different engines) has been in use since before the beginning of the Focus line here in '00. MTX-75 for earlier zetec engined models, different bellhousing to fit duratecs starting in '03, and that will bolt up to the current model as used by the factory.

One member wrote up installing a used one from a prev. generation in the MkIII to replace his automatic (engine & trans swap section "stickie").

Only the "SPI" engined early models (IB5) and the SVT/ST six speeds are different.

Solid rep. for seldom giving any trouble in normal use for hundreds of thousands of miles. 300,000 mile thread in Focus & General Chat is full of them.

Differential can give up drag racing hard, so often replaced with limited slip on Turbo cars. Minor repair to the shift mechanism occasionally needed (bolt for a roll pin, in car repair at a few $). Third gear synchros can get weak after long abuse, seldom seen. With that for a full list after all the years, it's about as bullet proof as you can get.

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
They're beautiful. It's one of the best I've driven.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to hear!!
Our '03 5spd was rock solid until the day the engine blew, and even then we're just going to drop in a replacement motor and let our teenagers have it.

We're shopping this weekend. I have a couple of manuals found for the simple fact that I've always preferred them, but we all know manuals can be kind of hard to track down. I've been getting a little flak about being so picky...
But now I have a better argument for my husband than just my personal preference. ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
We're shopping this weekend. I have a couple of manuals found for the simple fact that I've always preferred them, but we all know manuals can be kind of hard to track down. I've been getting a little flak about being so picky...
But now I have a better argument for my husband than just my personal preference. ;)
wish my wife had your preference of transmissions lol

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My dad taught me to drive when I was 11, in the '71 VW convertible he got in '73 the year before I was born (yep, he still has it).
We had washed and waxed it, put the top down and headed out for a road trip like any other Saturday drive. But that day he asked if I wanted to learn. :)
Ever after in my mind, even in the dullest of Mom-cars, a manual has meant a fun ride, just like Dad's VW.

Psychology is funny, isn't it ;)

·
Jetsetter
6,659 Posts
Ford has been using the MTX-75 since 1992, so yeah its THAT good.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Got it today, a '13, mine is just like this one. :)

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
That'll be very nice, like that combination.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It needs a 6th gear, other than that it is (was) great (I have sold mine a while back, the rest of the car was not put on together that well).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts