Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I have a 2002 zx5 vin 3FAFP37392R191420. The Ford parts manual lists an early (to 12-5-01) or a late (after 12-6-01) as the two different pumps that are used. Now when you check RockAuto and a number of other parts dealers, they list the early as being before (5-22-02) and a later as being after (5-22-02) Can anyone shed any light on this at all? My car has a date of 4-20-02 on it. Anyone with experience. What I am trying to do is eliminate all the problems with crud killing the fuel pumps in these cars. I did not want to start without all the right parts in hand because I know how these projects usually turn out....dead car waiting for parts. Thanks for your consideration...Nolan[???:)]

·
Registered
16 Posts
just did mine last weekend. if your car was built before 5-22 than you need pump kit. mine $65 compared to $175 for the other(built after 5-22) if the ztec is the same as the SPI engine, than i will tell you I had to reuse the stock filter and bottom rubber mount. my advice is pull the tank and take out the pump to see which one you do have forsure. alltho i am 99% positive that you have the cheaper of the two.

Let me know if you need anything else bro!

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Date does not matter. Pick the newest pump assembly (not just the fuel pump if that is an option). For it to function properly you will need the whole shebang.

This is what it should look like (from RA site)

I'm not sure which pump you actually have right now. If it is the old design, which looks like this guy:

You will have to cut the "tabs" off the bottom of the fuel tank. Three of them and if they are not removed the new module will not fit nor sit level on the tank floor.

Also be sure to shop around for a pump as the Motorcraft pump can be pretty price competitive --> http://www.forddirectonline.com/par...663&make=10&model=Focus&year=2002&catalogid=1
Or give our site sponsor Hilbish Ford a call and ask for Mike --> http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=94

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks to Mike for telling me which pump assy I should have. If things go well I,ll have a fix for the early fuel pump failures that shouldn't be over an extra 4 or 5 dollars. If not (sigh) I will have tried.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts