Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright I didn't do it. I PROMISE.......but the people before me did. (apparently it was one of those cars that followed other bigger vehicles across the desert.... ) So I currently have just this really stupid looking shark fin antenna and now I kinda feel like I need a change of look up there......

LOL sorry they're old pics, but still.....

any suggestions? I have this nice hole under that thing, too...... and I don't feel like doing a nice repair on it just yet......

·
Registered
155 Posts
That fin looks pretty good.

Actually I travel A LOT on the highways. And when Im on the highwayI put my CB antenna up on the trunk lid.
Having the ability to speak with truckers has gotten me out of far more tickets than any radar/laser detector ever has.
With a CB, you know 10 miles in advance if a cop is ahead and you know exactly what mile marker he's sitting at too.
With a detector, its all a guessing game and usually only goes off once you have been nailed.

But other then CB, I am a 10-Meter HAM operator and also -use the radio for search & rescue.
In case anyone is wondering, almost all 10-meter radios also operate on the 27MHz CB bands.
But with 10-meter you are allowed up to something like 200 watts which lets you talk for hundreds of miles on both AM and FM.

I'll post a pic of my focus with the antenna later tonight.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i am curious to see what your foci looks like with a "whip"

on my old truck, i had a CB setup with 6' whips on it!!! i miss those days

·
Registered
838 Posts
I had a CB radio in my car.. mostly for the PA but I was thinking abt putting an attena on :eek: but now that i know they make the sharkfin ones i think i will do it indef. =D I like the way it looks... I say keep it

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
yeah.........just find a functional one, lol [hihi] currently this one was a quick fix to seal the hole, but they do have better looking ones. I was thinking about getting either a black BMW one, or colormatch it...... I believe those work and look a little better... now to find me a cheap receiver [:D]

·
Registered
645 Posts
Oh yeah, that's hideous!! Get that off of there and send it to me because I'm a ummmmmm, errrrrrrrrr "certified sharkfin antenna recycler" (yeah, that's it!!) Now mind you, this has nothing to do w/the fact that it will match my car perfectly, and just knowing that the "12ft tassle" is up there bothers the crap out of me...(I look up every now and then hoping that it has blown away) If you do decide to dump it, I'll pay for shipping to MD, [thumb]

·
Registered
969 Posts
one of the techs that covers the region north of me - she covers erie - drives a red focus st and has a big whip antenna on it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ah hell.

I have been off the board for a week and totally forgot about taking pics of my antenna.
I WILL do it tomorrow though!

Sorry.

·
Registered
155 Posts
ok, sorry for the delay folks.

Below are pictures and information about my CB antenna.
It is a Wilson "Little Will" and can handle 300~Watts of power.

The pictures make it look longer than it really is, but its only 36" high.
http://www.wilsonantenna.com/lilwil.htm

And the radio I have hooked to it, isnt really a "CB Radio". Its a 10 meter HAM radio but can also operate on the CB Frequencies.

Its also actually used in some European and Asian countries military, its one rugged high powered radio! And at night I can get out for hundreds of miles.

Magnum 257

·
!FRENCH FRY!
4,236 Posts
That'd be great on a bored night

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
where is it mounted in the car?

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
I saw a focus lead car for an oversized load a couple monthes ago. It was awesome! It was a white sedan with what looked like a 11 foot tall cb whip but a little stiffer. Wish i had taken a picture of it, it was hilarious.

And ricochet, 36 inches is exactly 3 feet.

·
Registered
155 Posts
lol

Yeah, I had just woken up when I typed that. I know its 3 feet.

As far as the white Focus with what looked like the 11' tall antenna.

Thats actually a "feeler pole".
Its so when they go under power lines or low bridges they will know if the load on the truck will clear or not.

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
Thats the name! I had forgoten what that was called. I deal more with the trucks than the lead cars, my buddies take care of that. All I do is drive the truck lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts