Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I'm too lazy to read the whole thread I'm sorry.
What options do I have?
How much does each cost?
What are the primary benefits of each?
What is the primary problem of each?
Aaaand GO!
thank you ahead of time, but I'm determined to buy one in the next couple weeks (tax return baller)

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
What options do I have?
Injected
SCT
How much does each cost?
$399
What are the primary benefits of each?
the same, more power, better mpg, better shifting for the dct...
What is the primary problem of each?
No real problems. one is a canned tune and one is a custom tune. pick what you prefer.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Legitimately tho, how much power am I getting from a plug in tune tho? And what are the benefits with a 5 speed?

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
well it all depends on supporting mods. there is a good dyno thread you can read and compare mods on in the performance section. I dont have a tune yet nor have i had my car on a dyno but if i had to guess i would say anywhere from 5whp to 10 whp from the tune alone. with intake and exhaust i've seen cars on this forum gain around 30whp. the tune also helps a lot with drivability. there is some good info in the performance section. Each tune has their own stickey there.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure it's worth it, I just gotta figure out which one I want more I guess. I'm running the k&n typhoon and I'm getting either the stealth or the j 2 cat back

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
yeah it's all personal preference. if you get time read the threads. there is a lot of good info. i'm currently saving for a tune now. i just bought the Steeda rear sway bar and fswerks rear motor mount insert so the tune is next on the list. i'm going to go with SCT tune from Tom because i like that it is custom to my car specifically. I currently only have a drop in filter. I have dct so i want to get my shifts quickend up and i want to take advantage of the drop in filter. i figure i'll probably get a little extra power too. for me, its more about drivability.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
With the SCT you do data logging and he makes the tune specific to your car. also he says you get free tune updates as you do new bolton mods. so when you get your exhaust he will do a free updated tune for it. i like that because i will most likely eventually get a exhaust done myself and maybe a header too.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What about the injected tune?

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
I've heard lots of good things. It's a canned tune so as far as i understand they have set tuens for 89, 91 and 93 octane and you pick one and set it to your car.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
lots of people like the injected tune i just personally liked the idea of a custom tune to my car specifically.

·
FF Affiliate
31,178 Posts
I sell the xcal4 flasher for 429.00 and 20.00 for shipping

What is a Custom Tune ? A Custom tune is a tune you receive that is made for your Focus , your Driving style , Your mods , you datalog and send your tuner the logs and he adjust for safe tune and to make sure your getting all the safe HP and TQ that your paying for

What is a Canned Tune ? A Canned Tune is a Tune you receive from your tuner , its the same tune 5-500 other people get the same exact tune that have your strategy , its a one tune fits all Foci , driving style , mods mentality ,

The Injected flasher will not datalog and it cannot be unmarried and resold if you want to sell your Focus and sell the flasher seperate

If you choose to buy my Custom Tune you also get free NA tune updates for as long as you own the Focus , my datalogging services where I can remote into your laptop and set up the log list and help if your having any issues loading the tune

The XCAL4 flasher DOES NOT permanently change your strategy from what Ford assigned to your Focus ,

If you choose to sell your Focus and want to sell the XCAL4 separately you can unmarry it and sell it to some one else

Please let me know if you have any questions

Tom

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So basically, I keep it plugged in, drive how I wanna drive, and it adjusts to get the most out of how I drive? It's interesting, I definitely have some questions on it tho

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
No you do datalogs, send those to tome, he creates a tune for your car and sends it back to you and then you load that into your car.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
So basically, I keep it plugged in, drive how I wanna drive, and it adjusts to get the most out of how I drive? It's interesting, I definitely have some questions on it tho
No. You record a datalog, which is a brief snapshot of various engine parameters while operating your vehicle and then send that info along to the tuner. The tuner then creates/modifies your tune file based on the information in the datalog.

No "learning" is occurring. Once the vehicle's computer is flashed with the tune file, the tuning device is disconnected and is no longer needed for anything short of changing back to stock tune or loading an updated/different tune.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can I store different tunes on the tuner? Like, store a stock tune, store a gas mileage tune, 1/4 mile tune, etc?

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
I believe it is up to 10 tunes on the SCT device.

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
You are forgetting that Rebel Devil Customs now has a tune as well. Similar device to injected's and dyno proven for 7 Hp and 10 TQ at the wheels IIRC. :) They are who I am going with when I get a tune, also they will have a header specific tune for those of us who upgrade to OBX or another brand to squeeze more power out of the mods. Same price at $399 and they also have an e85 tune option for the ethanol guys who want to make more power and are considering making an e30 tune as well.http://http://rebeldevil.com/rdc3/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=product&task=show&cid=5491&name=rebel-devil-performance-blank-2012-focus-tuner&Itemid=170

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
do they have one specific for the guys with a drop in filter or who are using premium gas?

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
That's just the 93 or 91 tune, and thats the one with the gains of 7hp and 10tq. If you just have a drop in you don't need a custom tune for that. I asked a local tuner who does custom dyno tunes and he said if you have an intake and a catback you don't need a custom tune canned ones will be perfectly fine if not the same.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
RDC is vin locked, so if something happens I'm just out $400.....I have a pretty strong feeling I'm going with Tom's tune

1 - 20 of 56 Posts