Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to get this with new bushings for a while now. Tonight my g/f dad gave me $160 for taking care of his plants while they are in Spain. I now love him dearly. And so with that money I plan on getting the sway bar. BUT i've heard of the stock LCA breaking with this sway bar and i want to get answers on this with people who know of or know there self if running the stock LCA is ok. I just got two new LCA's and I noticed where the sway bar connects it has a piece of metal welded on top, could this be the reinforced LCA or is that normal? It seems to be 3/8 thick.

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
Do you mean 1/8 b/c my lca's have 3/8's plate welded on them an that shit is thick. i would highly recomend not running that bar unless they are reinforced.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine have a plate welded at the top. That plate plus the LCA its self equals 3/8 thick. (guessing)

·
Hiyadoin'
1,640 Posts
I'd do a bit of research and find a sway bar that's a good match for your front. Balance is better than extreme... especially if the extreme one will break your car.

I've had experience bolting heavy duty parts to flimsy stock parts... it's not pretty.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^ 24mm front is the answer to that.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I have had the 28.6 bar for almost a couple years on the stock LCA and have not had a problem. You should be ok, considering that you have new LCA's. Go for it.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^ have you driven it really hard? I live down a gravel driveway and we have a rut that where when I go over it the front and rear passenger tires are not touching the ground for about a second. Thats what im most concerned about.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
stock lca's might be not enough.. I just bought new lca's from b16 and the reg focus lca's come with the reinforced arms now. you don't have to buy just svt arms. So i have the reinforcment FTW. The biggest i'd go would be 22.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
^^ have you driven it really hard? I live down a gravel driveway and we have a rut that where when I go over it the front and rear passenger tires are not touching the ground for about a second. Thats what im most concerned about.

you live on a gravel road and youre thinking about getting a RSB that will affectively make your focus have a live axle in rear...

bad idea my friend.

swap your front out for a 22 or better yet 21.

get an eibach 25mm rear. and have a streetable and fun car to drive that will have better balance...if you dont have the rest of the suspension set up for that bar you will cause more harm then good. bad idea IMO [thumbd]

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will have a complete setup, I already have the shocks and spring, and I plan on getting the 28.6 with the 24 upfront and I do not lan on putting the 28.6 w/o the 24. I'll also be buying the oly bushings for them as well. I really dont care about a rough ride, so aside from that can you explain a little more why its not such a good idea?

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
harsh is an understatement for that bar.

also if you dont have coilovers or Konis turned all the way up that bar is gonna be steer happy and whippy. the roush suspension is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too soft for that bar. theres a reason roush (eibach) suggests a 25/22 set up for the focus. i dont think putting on the biggest bars is gonna over compensate for the lack of suspension parts you have. im sorry but theres a reason its called a race bar, unless you track the focus its a bad idea. also its gonna make steering dead and mundane.

you want snappy quick steering...get a progress 22mm bar and a spi 18mm front bar. you will keep more power to the ground in corners and you will have snappy quick steering.

the bigger front bar in a corner is gonna make the outside wheel come off the ground because its like a solid axle...which will make you lose traction.

Reactions: Insane

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So a 22 up front and a 25 in the rear correct? I never did think about the issue of the rear tire coming off the ground..

Really the biggest reason I wanted the 28.6 is the price of it.

I guess i'll have to be looking for the Eibach front and rear sway bar kit. Thanks for the info.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
dude...pay the money the first time and get the right parts...lol

yea id look for a used set of eibach bars...

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I could go a head and buy the 25mm progressive from massive. Though now im debating on that or the Ingalls stiffy motor mount.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
personally i would forgo the mount until you are gonna do all of them...thats just me tho...

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
personally i would forgo the mount until you are gonna do all of them...thats just me tho...

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was thinking that also. It would let me put more of my TQ to the ground which would be a nice addition seeing that I have an auto.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts