Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a quick question about snow tires. I'm looking to get some new snow tires. The pickings around here are slim.

It seems like my options are the Yokohama iceguard or the Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT that I could get off tire rack. Looking to spend around $650. Which ones would you guys recommend from those 2, or possibly a different one?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Regardless of which ones you go with, get an extra set of 15" wheels, either steelies or from another model, the tires are about $30-$50 cheaper per tire in a 15" size. I got a set of old Thunderbird rims for $80 off craigslist, getting the tires mounted tomorrow. FWIW, I got Yokohama iceGUARD iG52c's from tirerack.com for $77 each.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I also purchased the Yokohama iceGUARD iG52c tires. No review yet as I haven't mounted them. [shhh]

·
Registered
108 Posts
They had solid reviews on tirerack.com and a $60 rebate when I got them so it ended up being something like $286 with shipping for four... $80 for the rims and $60 for the TPMS sensors, $372 total no including install, which I think will be about $50. I'm not complaining!

·
Registered
130 Posts
An AWESOME budget winter tire is the General Altimax Arctic. You can find a second set of used wheels, purchase new Arctics, and have them mounted for around $650. Check out the reviews.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was originally going to get the Altimax Arctics but the rebate on them expired and the Yokos were cheaper with the rebate. The Generals had great reviews though!

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
650 seems to be a easy budget to meet.

remember any snow tire is better than no snow tire. so any mainstream tire brand would be suitable.

also i second finding another set of wheels of craigslist or kijiji, or w/e your local classified is.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had the ice guards on my Volvo and loved them. Right now I have General Altimax Arctics and I really love those too, but they are much louder than the ice guards... of course they are on a much different car too.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's really between the Goodyears and the Yoko's. Only 2 really available at all. The Yoko's I can get asap though. Probably will end up with those.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love my Goodyear WRT Ice. Only problem is I wrecked 2 tires from hitting sidewall with nails >(
How do they seem to be holding up, will they last a few years?

·
Registered
28 Posts
If i had to guess, I'd say 30,000 miles on a set. Rubber is soft and handling is meh on dry pavement and cornering. They rock in snow.

·
Registered
59 Posts
FYI, I just got a set of four Continental ExtremeWinterContacts mounted to brand new 15" Ford steel wheels with new TPMSs shipped to my door from TireRack for $772. I know that it is more than are looking to spend but I am very happy with the deal.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Main thing for most snow tires is use them in the cold. When it gets over 40F take them OFF!!!
Driving around on modern high tech snow tires in warmer* weather will burn them right down to the wear bars fast.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have used the Yokohama iceGaurds for three winters and i absolutely love them. Great grip, especially on ice, i can usually get two winters out of them, but only if i take them off as soon as the snow melts. They are quite soft. I highly recommend them. They even got me places that a 4wd pathfinder with poor tires couldn't go, though i did have to give it some willy...

·
Registered
70 Posts
tire rack is sold out of steels, dang.
Edit: They do have 16" in stock, $60/piece.

I knew I should have ordered a set earlier but I was hoping to find some Windstar or Taurus wheels locally. No dice, and now I can't get steelies. I really don't want to pay for 17" snow tires.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Sounds like a perfect change to put the snow tires on the stock wheels and get a nice set of wheels for the summer ...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sounds like a perfect change to put the snow tires on the stock wheels and get a nice set of wheels for the summer ...
Let me run it by the wife [rofl]

Problem is my factory tires are close to being shot. They'll probably get me through Spring if I run different tires in the winter. Otherwise I just need to get all seasons now and deal with less than great performance in the snow.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts