Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have rims but i use my stock 16 inch rims in the winter... What size tires will fit? i want snow tires but i don't know much about tires? move this thread wherever it needs to be. Is there only one size tire that will fit or what? . thanks!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I run 205/50/16 Michelin X-ice Xi2s on my stock(16")ST rims. They are excellent snow and ice tires. Ideally they should be narrower, probably 195/50/16. Read about winter tires on the TireRack web site. They have great info, great advice, and great prices. Good luck.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I would advise getting some 15" wheels so you can get more sidewall and narrow the tire down.
For winter I run a 195/60-15.
The last 2 winters I had Hankook iPikes. Awesome tire and would buy again.
The 2 winters before that I had Blizzaks. New they weren't bad. But the second winter they really showed their age.
I would take iPikes over Blizzaks any day of the week.

This year I'm going to try Green Diamond Icelander tires. They sound like the bee's knees and from the few reviews I've found, no one's been upset for buying them ... even though they are retreaded tires.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I run 205/50/16 Michelin X-ice Xi2s on my stock(16")ST rims. They are excellent snow and ice tires. Ideally they should be narrower, probably 195/50/16. Read about winter tires on the TireRack web site. They have great info, great advice, and great prices. Good luck.
Thanks! i also live in maine. roads get pretty bad around me.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Moved to Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension

I also suggest using a set of 15" wheels but I can understand wanting to use what you already have.

I will be using my Blizzacks for their 3rd winter. It'll be interesting to see how much they help, but in KS it should be okay. As long as I'm not using my summer tires...lol

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The only caveat for 15" snows, is that you lose ground clearance, and if the plowing contractors are as casual as they are around here, you may find yourself hung up on a snow bank on an unplowed road.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
I used 205/55-16 on my old stock 16" rims. This is a popular size with SVT owners as well. There's lots of choices in this size and they tend to be a little lower in price as well. I agree that 15's (say 195/60-15) would be ideal. And no, you do not sacrifice any ground clearance using them. They are the same overall diameter as a 205/50-16 or 205-45-17. They're just narrower which as mentioned is good for a snow tire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts