Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm from California and so is my SVT. Unfortunately im moving to British Columbia and it snows there....aka salt and freezing temps that my cars never been in before. I have 100K on her and my question is what would be the best way to keep my car from rusting to nothing. I know the best thing to do is just put the car in storage...something i would do in a heartbeat but I need it for transportation.

Also I'm not sure how my mods will do. I have:
Header wrapped(Will it rot?)
Poly mount(is it good for winter?)
Diablo tune(is it good for freezing weather?)
RP oil/Tranny fluid(would it help to get something heavier weight)
My tires( lol need to be changed to all seasons for sure)

If anyone has anymore input about anything else plz comment.

p.s I wish I had butt warmers and a car plug.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
Your car should be fine. Just pick up some 16" wheels with some good winter shoes on there and you'll be fine. I'm actually from NE Ohio and put my car through it's 2 first very harsh winters and I was glad that I had my butt warmers and traction control. I never did use my engine block heater though. You could get it undercoated to help it from rusting. Only place that you should really worry about is in the wheel wells. Also if you plan to do more mods in the summer time, be sure to use lots of WD-40 or Liquid Wrench on them "sticky" bolts and nuts [;)]

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Windshield washer fluid from warm climates will freeze. Get some winter washer fluid and flush it though the system, I found out the hard way buying a car from the south once.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
If you search around online, you can fine detailing products usually called salt neutralizers that will help get rid of the salt on your car, especially underneath. Unless the snow is crazy deep, your car will do fine as long as you have good tires on it. Ford makes an engine block heater for our cars that was a factory option, and I don't think they are terribly difficult to install. And some places that do car stereos sell seat heaters that they can install for you. I just got a set for my wife's camry for christmas.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have lived in Vancouver my whole life and it hardly snows here at all.this year was an exception,but we do get a few inches every year but not enough to worry about,you will be fine.[thumb]

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
great info guys. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
261 Posts
i live in Alberta, we gets lots of snow..I always use my car all year around ( dont have the space for 2 cars)..and I have never had a car rust on me. I just make sure I wash it at least once a week, and I garage it at night, and Ive never had a problem

·
Registered
151 Posts
Like OrangeSVTguy said. Get some 16's (Focus or Courgar rims) and some good snow tires. It's not smart to attempt the snow with the performance ones. I've done it, not by choice (early snow) and it scares the crap out of me. I live in Pennsylvania and it's amazing how many SVTs I see driving around with the performance tires on in the winter…it's just not safe.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I just moved somewhat permanently from Alaska to California, and have a set of stock 5-spoke SVT rims on Hankook studded tires with about 3 months of use on the tires. The rims are a little ugly what with salt and brake dust, but they're stock at least and the tires are great in snow and ice. PM if interested?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I have lived in Vancouver my whole life and it hardly snows here at all.this year was an exception,but we do get a few inches every year but not enough to worry about,you will be fine.[thumb]
I was gonna say the same. Coastal BC is pretty mild (but cloudy as heck) with hardly any snow at all.

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
EAP RIMS with BLIZZAK FTW!!!! (WS50s)

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Undercoat your car. You can get the rattle can stuff that works pretty well or you can pay to have it done. I always keep my car waxed really well and that seems to help. Spray off road salt whenever possible, I do once a week if temparatures permit. If you don't get much snow, invest in some good all season tires like Continental Conti-Extremes. The only thing on your list that needs addressing is tires, everything else will be fine. [thumb]

·
Registered
354 Posts
I too have moved to the greater Vancouver area in the last year. I came from Winnipeg and had no problem either here or there with my Continental Conti-Extremes, other than that, try and keep her clean.
PS Nice to see you on FocusBC, see you around!

·
pwned
4,712 Posts
All season tires won't cut it, especially in B.C.
Here in Toronto it's not nearly has snowy as B.C. and my brand new all seasons are worthless, going to get some winter tires for next season.

As far as other protection, get your car undercoated with Krown oil. The company is called Krown and they undercoat it well, rocker panels, under the lining of the hood, everywhere. Will cost about 100 bucks.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
All season tires won't cut it, especially in B.C.
Here in Toronto it's not nearly has snowy as B.C. and my brand new all seasons are worthless, going to get some winter tires for next season.
in the rest of BC (especially the mountanous parts) this is true, but he moved to Vancouver, where it only really snows a few times per year, and a decent driver with all seasons will have no problem. That being said, i do have snow tires in vancouver, because my extreme summer performance tires do not work at all in the snow or slush.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I just moved to my location and it's not bad at all. I thought id be bad. I only saw snow twice here(melted the next day)....and I ended up driving my car....wasnt too much fun BFG KDW's and snow was death( luckly i know how to handle in the snow with no traction). I know i should go and buy all seasons but im broke from all this moving and plus i have to pay tax on my car AGAIN because i imported my SVT. We have two cars so I just drive the other when it snows. Im not planning on going into the mountains so it's all good.

it does get cold and I just wanted to know if my mods would hold up. Like my headerwrap and so on. So far so good. Im just getting about 200 miles per tank....don't know why [dunno] .

Lucky me theres no salt here so i don't have to worry about rust. That was a huge relief when i hear about that.

·
Registered
122 Posts
About your tune is that from Tom? If it is you might want to get a new one from him..Have you noticed that we have 94 octane here at all most all our gas stations( Dont you have 91 in Calif..I have his tune for 94 and the car runs great)[welcome]

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah I saw that today! I was wtf wow!
I would love to get a tune for 94 octane but im running a diablo performance tune. Im tight on money right now. Maybe when i get a job and money starts flowing. Did you notice a difference going from 91 to 94?

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
You may notice a drop in MPG due to winter blend gas. It generally sucks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts