141 - 160 of 2220 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
[facepalm]

I was able to remove the shroud with a small effort and some minor resistance. [thumb]
Anyways!!! If you were to put it back in now! How long would it take?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I honestly believe I am getting WORSE mpg with this despite feeling more power at lower rpm's....I am considering putting it back in

oh btw I also cut half the flap under it

·
Boob Whisperer
6,104 Posts
You probably are, I and others have noticed this as well.

My belief is that it is breathing better, but also getting more fuel added by the ECU to maintain a typical factory pig-rich condition.

If we ever get tuning support for this motor, we should be able to optimize the fuel trims to airflow and see better mileage then an untuned stock motor. If we ever get tuning[facepalm]

·
I WILL correct you.
5,328 Posts
Anyways!!! If you were to put it back in now! How long would it take?
Probably 30-45 minutes.

I honestly believe I am getting WORSE mpg with this despite feeling more power at lower rpm's....I am considering putting it back in

oh btw I also cut half the flap under it

My belief is that it is breathing better, but also getting more fuel added by the ECU to maintain a typical factory pig-rich condition.

If we ever get tuning support for this motor, we should be able to optimize the fuel trims to airflow and see better mileage then an untuned stock motor. If we ever get tuning[facepalm]
I did the delete of the snorkel and shroud at 1000mi. My mileage has either risen or stayed the same but has not dropped. Obviously new engine break in comes into play.

But I wonder what deleting it so soon into the cars life did to the ECU as far as learning. I also haven't run anything less than 91 octane from first tank. I average, even in the winter, 29 mpg with 50/50 hwy/city and in the fall was getting 31mpg a tank. I'm happy.

·
Boob Whisperer
6,104 Posts
Probably 30-45 minutes.

I did the delete of the snorkel and shroud at 1000mi. My mileage has either risen or stayed the same but has not dropped. Obviously new engine break in comes into play.

But I wonder what deleting it so soon into the cars life did to the ECU as far as learning. I also haven't run anything less than 91 octane from first tank. I average, even in the winter, 29 mpg with 50/50 hwy/city and in the fall was getting 31mpg a tank. I'm happy.
I'm getting 32.2avg over 17K miles. I'm happy as well.

·
Registered
151 Posts

Yeah if ever, but right now I am kinda frustrated because I was averaging atleast 29 now Im getting a flat 27...but the car is so much more responsive.

I have NEVER run 91, I honestly do not see the point since our car is meant for 87. And from what I understand higher octanes are used purposefully to prevent engine knock at higher compression ratios which I understand our car has a 12:1. Is it really worth buying more expensive gas?

·
I WILL correct you.
5,328 Posts
Yeah if ever, but right now I am kinda frustrated because I was averaging atleast 29 now Im getting a flat 27...but the car is so much more responsive.

I have NEVER run 91, I honestly do not see the point since our car is meant for 87. And from what I understand higher octanes are used purposefully to prevent engine knock at higher compression ratios which I understand our car has a 12:1. Is it really worth buying more expensive gas?
You should read the owners manual reference your, "meant for 87" statement.

·
Boob Whisperer
6,104 Posts
You should read the owners manual reference your," meant for 87" statement.
His CA 91 isn't much better then our 89, if at all.

+1 on the owners manual part:

Octane recommendations

Your vehicle is designed to use “Regular” unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87. Some stations offer fuels posted as
“Regular” with an octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with octane levels below 87 are not recommended.
Premium fuel will provide improved performance.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts

12:1 would be an incredibly high compression ratio on 87 octane if it wasn't for the Gasoline Direct Injection and the twin independnt variable camshaft timing.

The injection of liquid fuel directly into the cylinder cools the compressed air charge and helps to prevent detonation, as well as the variable cam timing retarding the combustion cycle enough to prevent spark knock for the most part. It does this by sacrificing a measure of power and performance that could be gained with advanced spark timing. 91-93 octane fuels are more resistant to pinging and detonation/ pre-ignition and therefore the car can adjust timing accordingly in order to make more power from the same quantity of fuel consumed.

·
Registered
151 Posts
His CA 91 isn't much better then our 89, if at all.

+1 on the owners manual part:

Octane recommendations

Your vehicle is designed to use “Regular” unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87. Some stations offer fuels posted as
“Regular” with an octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with octane levels below 87 are not recommended.
Premium fuel will provide improved performance.
12:1 would be an incredibly high compression ratio on 87 octane if it wasn't for the Gasoline Direct Injection and the twin independnt variable camshaft timing.

The injection of liquid fuel directly into the cylinder cools the compressed air charge and helps to prevent detonation, as well as the variable cam timing retarding the combustion cycle enough to prevent spark knock for the most part. It does this by sacrificing a measure of power and performance that could be gained with advanced spark timing. 91-93 octane fuels are more resistant to pinging and detonation/ pre-ignition and therefore the car can adjust timing accordingly in order to make more power from the same quantity of fuel consumed.
So filling up with a premium fuel would actually improve performance? Meaning the car knows it has premium fuel and adjusts for it?

·
Boob Whisperer
6,104 Posts
So filling up with a premium fuel would actually improve performance? Meaning the car knows it has premium fuel and adjusts for it?
For example, the Mustang 5.0 is listed at 420hp(premium), and 402hp(regular).

Horsepower:(Source)
305 @ 6,500 rpm (3.7L V6)
402 @ 6,500 rpm (5.0L V8 regular fuel)
420 @ 6,500 rpm (5.0L V8 premium fuel)

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Ok guys got a problem! I do not see how you take this out!! I don't think it will fit through the top!!

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Brute force and ignorance always works for me.
Ok lol! I dumbed up and got it out! Damn!!! I see no way of putting it back in! Im a little nervous though if i go to the dealership!!! I will definitely put the air box lid on! But what will they do if they find out that i took this part out!? Or do they not care?

·
I WILL correct you.
5,328 Posts
Ok lol! I dumbed up and got it out! Damn!!! I see no way of putting it back in! Im a little nervous though if i go to the dealership!!! I will definitely put the air box lid on! But what will they do if they find out that i took this part out!? Or do they not care?
They'd have to be looking for it. You can't see it w/o removing some pieces to even glimpse it.

141 - 160 of 2220 Posts