Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1001 - 1020 of 2220 Posts

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
35 mpg at 80mph is spectacular for these cars anyway. That's roughly 3300 rpms If I recall correctly
Higher RPM's/lower MPG's at that speed on the 5M, right? But yes, I shouldn't complain about the MPG's at that speed, it's pretty good. :)
The 5 speed is at 3381 RPM at 80 mph.

The DCT is right around 2954 RPM at 80 mph based on the gear ratio calculations running 16" wheels on each car. Figures are slightly less with the 17/18" wheels, but the real world numbers are around that point.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
My 38mpg was with premium and it was from the middle of Nebraska to SW Denver metro in tne early am hours as I never once touched the brakes til I was at my exit off the hwy and then just a half mile to my house. Most of it was also under cruise control. I was quite happy with that number.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just have to say, wow, I could only manage about 35 MPG at 80 MPH post mod...with premium fuel as well.
Okay I am going to sound like a huge beginner here, does the Focus require premium? Because I have been filling my tank with regular since I got it 3 weeks ago.

And I've put just over 1000 miles on the car so far and I am getting 36.4 mpgs combined. So if I do this mod and install a drop in k&n filter, do you think I will get even better gas mileage?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Okay I am going to sound like a huge beginner here, does the Focus require premium? Because I have been filling my tank with regular since I got it 3 weeks ago.

And I've put just over 1000 miles on the car so far and I am getting 36.4 mpgs combined. So if I do this mod and install a drop in k&n filter, do you think I will get even better gas mileage?
Nope. Refer to your manual for petroleum suggestions. The manual states that any grade may be used but hints that higher grade will result in better performance

·
Registered
140 Posts
easy mod but I broke all 4 push pins holding the cover on. 3 of them are back in ghetto style.

I also broke the clips holding the snorkel and slightly cracked the left snorkel mount bracket thing.

I assume the push pins are cheap from ford? I don't understand how anyone can get them out and reuse them. they were jammed in so tightly.

·
Registered
920 Posts
easy mod but I broke all 4 push pins holding the cover on. 3 of them are back in ghetto style.

I also broke the clips holding the snorkel and slightly cracked the left snorkel mount bracket thing.

I assume the push pins are cheap from ford? I don't understand how anyone can get them out and reuse them. they were jammed in so tightly.

Did you pull the center of the pins up ? They are pretty easily removed when the center is lifted up or even up and out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is what I did with my Focus this weekend, I'm going on a 1000 km trip tonigh so I will tell you how it feels and what the mpg are.

Mods:
- K&N dropped-in air filter
- Snorkel delete
- Ram air opening

I'm going to boxe the opening when I come back from my trip make it a cold air intake

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
snorkel removal clarifications

Thanks for the thread.
This 3-day Focus owner was puzzled by details of the procedure:

* Push-pins are 2-piece; pull the center first to release the outer.
At least on my 2014, the plastic (Sight Shield And Upper Bumper Support)
is also anchored at ends by T-30 torx screws.

* Propping plastic open eases snorkel removal

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
This is what I did with my Focus this weekend, I'm going on a 1000 km trip tonigh so I will tell you how it feels and what the mpg are.

Mods:
- K&N dropped-in air filter
- Snorkel delete
- Ram air opening

I'm going to boxe the opening when I come back from my trip make it a cold air intake
I like the cut out. Definetely post pictures of the final product. I've been wanting to do something similar my self.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I have the same cut out for almost two years now and if you know how it rains in Florida then there is no need to worry about rain even with the paper filter no tale tell signs of water even touching it.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I have the same cut out for almost two years now and if you know how it rains in Florida then there is no need to worry about rain even with the paper filter no tale tell signs of water even touching it.
That is good info to pass along.
I would have expeted a lot of water to get in...

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
I just don't think there any additional performance gain from cutting the top plus if you're still under warranty too easy for the dealer to spot if an issue arises. I think you get plenty of direct air in with the rubber shroud removed and coming in right under the hood in the grill and not so noticeable.

1001 - 1020 of 2220 Posts