Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 80 of 2220 Posts

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
I didn't see a difference between 89 and 91. Two road trips to Vegas, 89 on one and 91 on the other. Same mileage. Plus or minus one or two mpg.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
By approximately 3 mpg, give or take...but my mileage is mainly in-town...

Sent from my stupid phone.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just read the consideration part ;is it really ok what we're doing?

Considerations

Your engine's intake tube isn't some necessary evil inherent to using fuel injection -- not these days, anyway. Air doesn't flow smoothly into your engine; it actually starts and stops in accordance to pressure reversion waves or "sound" coming out of the engine. The right intake and intake resonator -- no, it isn't just a muffler -- can control these pressure waves to keep them from propagating up in the tube and restricting airflow. In practical terms, you'll want to use the shortest and fattest intake tube possible, and the largest, best-flowing air filter and air-box that will fit; very long intake tubes are a breeding ground for reversion wave pressure buildup. And don't chuck your intake resonator on the general principle that it looks like a useless plastic tumor on your intake tube. Making that mistake could cost you some noticeable power.

Read more: Do Cold Intake Air Filters Really Increase Automobile Horsepower? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_12167971_cold-intake-air-filters-really-increase-automobile-horsepower.html

http://www.ehow.com/info_12156112_air-intake-resonator-do.html

·
Registered
247 Posts
I just filled up (with 91 again) and now my gas mileage is better with this mod than before. IDK probably too early to pass judgements. I don't notice anymore noise than before, but i still have the stock filter. I'm Waiting for better intakes to come out, and to see what will solve the suspension clunking on my new car before I invest any real money into it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
very long intake tubes are a breeding ground for reversion wave pressure buildup. And don't chuck your intake resonator on the general principle that it looks like a useless plastic tumor on your intake tube. Making that mistake could cost you some noticeable power.[/B]

Read more: Do Cold Intake Air Filters Really Increase Automobile Horsepower? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_12167971_cold-intake-air-filters-really-increase-automobile-horsepower.html
Well we are making the opening larger and shorter so it makes sense?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have used 89 mostly but filled up on 93 today to get a free car wash. I started a new topic, but really copied what Puma Speed does in the UK. I think the drop in filter helps, but this mod also helps get air straight in from the side reducing that pressure wave previous discussed.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298484

·
Registered
247 Posts
I got a new toy for $15 to get some readings on my phone.

Haven't got the AFR to work yet, maybe I need the full version? Anyways it will be interesting to see what the intake vs ambient temperatures look like when I'm actually driving (not idling in garage).

I also discovered that the little pull off panel for the OBD2 sensor on my car is broken (torn off at the bottom flap). Not sure why it is the first time I have ever accessed it :( Might be kinda better off though if I want to drive around with OBD2 Bluetooth device plugged in.

I haven't cut the flap yet, only removed the snorkel and I'm still using the stock air filter. Not sure I want to put on an intake in my nice quiet commuter car, but maybe an AEM dropin.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Haven't got the AFR to work yet, maybe I need the full version? Anyways it will be interesting to see what the intake vs ambient temperatures look like when I'm actually driving (not idling in garage).

I also discovered that the little pull off panel for the OBD2 sensor on my car is broken (torn off at the bottom flap). Not sure why it is the first time I have ever accessed it :( Might be kinda better off though if I want to drive around with OBD2 Bluetooth device plugged in.

I haven't cut the flap yet, only removed the snorkel and I'm still using the stock air filter. Not sure I want to put on an intake in my nice quiet commuter car, but maybe an AEM dropin.
Yes its not designed for semi open readings you should remove the panel if you plan to read and drive hence you can easily break it with your left knee.From pic i see you're using Torque apllication ;yes it's the best for android .

All you have to do is log the files while cruising.Enable it from the options of the application and after then export the log file to your computer.By doing so you can check out the max. readings in the excel file .Look for the peak values "maf", "torque" ,"boost" ,"Pintake"...

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #72

That app looks really cool and suddenly makes me want to get it. Does it data log?

The good thing about this mod, when coupled with an aftermarket drop-in, is that you get a good percentage of the performance gain that any of the aftermarket intakes are getting without the noise. If you keep the resonator attached to the box then your intake should be very close to stock quiet.

I tested a Typhoon intake on my car and I was not fond of the amount of noise it made (my personal opinion only). I deleted my resonator and blocked the opening, and that was the perfect sound for me. Coupled with this mod, a K&N drop-in, and 91 V-Power, I see mid 32 mpg's on my commute (Ti with handling package 18's).

For comparison, my mpg's with Newmission installed was approx 28-29, and my SEL (all OEM w/17's) never saw above 29 in the same commute driving.

·
Ford Fiend
2,976 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Im defo thinking Bout this. Performance gains?

·
Registered
28 Posts
That app looks really cool and suddenly makes me want to get it. Does it data log?

Yes it can log but do not expect too much from a cheap chipset, you have to extract the irrational ones.

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Im defo thinking Bout this. Performance gains?
Performance gains have only been shown on the dyno with the combination of the snorkel delete and the replacement filter. That is only hp/tq measurements, though, I cannot confirm or deny real world performance (mpg's, drive-ability) outside of the combination.

Edit: Actually, I can say that drive-ability is improved with the drop-in and no snorkel-delete. I can't confirm the snorkel delete with the OEM filter, though, as mine went circular file a few days after I purchased my Ti.

·
Registered
247 Posts
So I went to plug in the OBD2 BT module in and the cover broke off at the flap.

Granted it was only held on by a thread anyways....

3k miles and I already need to order a new dash piece? The snaps alone are not enough to hold it in place.

Would this be covered under warranty? Or should I just throw the cover away?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Did this yesterday. Noticed some very minor gain. With the FSWerks intake no sound difference however I can definitely tell much more cold air is reaching the intake and this mod would shine in the summer during hotter months.

Just an fyi, this is a bitch to do alone without a. breaking pieces or b. cutting the shit out of your hands or both. I unfortunately did both.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Did this yesterday. Noticed some very minor gain. With the FSWerks intake no sound difference however I can definitely tell much more cold air is reaching the intake and this mod would shine in the summer during hotter months.

Just an fyi, this is a bitch to do alone without a. breaking pieces or b. cutting the shit out of your hands or both. I unfortunately did both.
Wow, sorry to hear you had a difficult time with it. Mine went pretty easily, though it was a tight fit to get my hands in there.

I wonder how the FSWerks intake would do if you had a version of the Newmission mod, with the outlet directed toward the filter...

61 - 80 of 2220 Posts