Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 2220 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
I am running on the stock filter right now. I'm still trying to source the K&N filter locally but nobody seems to have it stocked at all; everything online is $80+ which I think is too steep. I shall hunt one down and see the difference they make, but I do belive as you said I will see another gain out of the two together. Thanks for the original write up; if I did not see that I would have never known to attempt this :)
Amazon.com -- $47 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001C4SLOU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Reactions: Focus8oh8

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am going to hop across the border and just get it from Autozone or something. I hate it up here sourcing parts; its a major rip off. Glad I live 1hr from NY :)

I will definitely check out the post. I am however just looking for non-invasive mods for now as this is my "new" car and want to keep it as stockish as possible. Maybe in the future I will attempt some more tricky stuff :)

Thanks again!
This is where I got it locally in Calgary.

http://www.mopacautosupply.com/

They aren't back east but they may do a mail order [dunno]

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thanks for the newmission links, I guess I will wait n see what kind of intakes are developed since I'm not sure I want to spend too much time cutting up my airbox for new mission. Although It does indeed look like a great intake for a focus. I just don't have that sorta free time these days. Guess I will look to getting an AEM when it comes time to replace my stock filter. However I'm a bit concerned about crushing the factory intake as I have read some people do. I'm assuming this is from clamping the filter too tight (or maybe just tight enough). Perhaps someone will manufacture some billet inserts so we can apply more clamping pressure? I run insert rings on my 250r ATV for just this problem. Granted on the 250r the air filter can bounce off if not tightened enough and if you over tighten you can get an air leak.

This is the link to see what I mean: but you will have to search for "Billet Air Box Ring".
http://www.duncanracing.com/buyersguide/hondatrx250r.html#Fil

Does that K&N allow you to keep the airbox lid on? Anyone had any issues with the MAF sensor getting messed up from over oiling? K&N + outerwear is nice, but also restrictive and expensive. I think id be better off going AEM and skipping the oil all together.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Does that K&N allow you to keep the airbox lid on? Anyone had any issues with the MAF sensor getting messed up from over oiling? K&N + outerwear is nice, but also restrictive and expensive. I think id be better off going AEM and skipping the oil all together.
K&N fits right in, airbox top goes right back on as long as you get the part number from the link above.

Sent from my Motorola Atrix via Tapatalk 2

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
So I'm considering drilling a series of holes in the bump in the plastic cover directly in front of the intake tube. I'm worried about water though. I hit it pretty hard with a hose just to see and some water got on that area. I was hitting it pretty direct though. I think I'll wait until it rains again then go for a highway drive and check it. Also, something has to be done about the tube that goes from the air box to the TB. I talked to a custom shop last week and we're looking at about $300+ for fab.

·
Registered
247 Posts
So far my gas mileage seems to have been reduced by this mod...

I don't get why that would be, going to give it another tank or so.

I was averaging 33-34 and now I am averaging 31-32.

·
Registered
247 Posts
are you driving it any different?
No, but I could swear it accelerates a little better down low but its very very small difference. Actually my commute has added MORE freeway driving, I seem to get less MPG on the freeway now and more around town (maybe the same) I wonder if adding more air causes the computers to inject more gas when driving along on the freeway.

I was reading this thread on a nissan truck forum:
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-performance-modifications/143996-torque-android-app-kick-arse.html

I ordered the bluetooth OBD2 device. I will have to see if it works on the focus, it would be nice to have real data to see Air / Fuel Ratios, intake temperatures etc. Maybe I will pop the snorkle back on and run some testing too. This will take a while to gather any real data though.

·
Registered
684 Posts
No, but I could swear it accelerates a little better down low but its very very small difference. Actually my commute has added MORE freeway driving, I seem to get less MPG on the freeway now and more around town (maybe the same) I wonder if adding more air causes the computers to inject more gas when driving along on the freeway.

I was reading this thread on a nissan truck forum:
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-performance-modifications/143996-torque-android-app-kick-arse.html

I ordered the bluetooth OBD2 device. I will have to see if it works on the focus, it would be nice to have real data to see Air / Fuel Ratios, intake temperatures etc. Maybe I will pop the snorkle back on and run some testing too. This will take a while to gather any real data though.
You will only get useable AF ratio information if this car has a wideband O2 sensor.... which would be nice.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
I'm only on my first full tank since the delete, but I'm noticing my mileage hasn't really changed. That's with 160 mile highway trip. And yes, Justintoxicated, it is logical to expect the engine to use more fuel when it's drawing more air to keep the A:F where it should be.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
So far my gas mileage seems to have been reduced by this mod...

I don't get why that would be, going to give it another tank or so.

I was averaging 33-34 and now I am averaging 31-32.
I don't know or understand why you might see a drop (not saying it isn't happening) with an OEM filter because the OEM filter restricts air in the same manner. I only have one dyno that was mis-calibrated on the OEM filter, but it showed the same hp (tq is what needs calibration) with the delete as without.

Keep an eye on it and hand-calc if possible for comparison. I will say that this car is extremely touchy with air modifications, as my mileage is already starting to creep back up after removing the Newmission this weekend.

Sent from my stupid phone.

·
I WILL correct you.
5,328 Posts
I just threw a K&N in mine with the previously mentioned snorkel and shroud delete.

[clap] Sounds great, performs great, and no dip in MPG even though my foot has been heavier.

·
Boob Whisperer
6,104 Posts
I don't know or understand why you might see a drop (not saying it isn't happening) with an OEM filter because the OEM filter restricts air in the same manner. I only have one dyno that was mis-calibrated on the OEM filter, but it showed the same hp (tq is what needs calibration) with the delete as without.

Keep an eye on it and hand-calc if possible for comparison. I will say that this car is extremely touchy with air modifications, as my mileage is already starting to creep back up after removing the Newmission this weekend.

Sent from my stupid phone.
I agree with the touchiness of allowing it to breath more. I've also been revving to here her growl after I did my hole saw mod. Still good mpg's, but nowhere near exceptional. I've never had exceptional, 34ish is my best tank in 10k miles.

·
Boob Whisperer
6,104 Posts
Are you guys using 91? If you dont...you should...
I've done tests at 93 and 87. If I know I'm roadtripping-93. Otherwise the extra cost doesn't add that many miles to my commute. If it got me an extra day between fill ups, that might be worth it. It doesn't[:(]

41 - 60 of 2220 Posts