Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 2220 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I made my 70 mile round trip commute today in heavy rain and had no issues. The car felt like it had better response especially when I had to gun it to merge onto the interstate. I also noticed I was getting better gas mileage. I now have snorkel delete, new mission mod, and a drop in K&N. All I need now is a better exhaust.

Not sure why the piece I took out looks different but it could be because I have a 3/11 build date.

Here are some more photos.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You do know that you just removed a crucial part of the cooling system right?...just saying your radiator now has terrible airflow.

Now, removing the snorkel on the airbox and the air horn is a GREAT mod..that is what I have done

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't think this mod is really going to have a negative effect on the radiators air flow as it gets most of its air from the bottom.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I don't think this mod is really going to have a negative effect on the radiators air flow as it gets most of its air from the bottom.

^^^This. And it is literally in front of the car getting forced through the air.

So here anyone knows whats the exact use of that snorkel ?
I'm sure that the snorkel design is probably due to nvh/fit and finish.

Sent from my stupid phone.

·
Thread Killer
2,712 Posts
Well, I put the lid back on and did the snorkel delete. Still need to take out the flap, but just going for a drive I notice a difference in the lower rpms. Much better than just lid off. Filling up tomorrow and am gonna run a tank to see mpg gains without cutting the flap.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My previous readings were
P(intake)=2,16 Bar
T(in)=82 Celcius
T(ambient)=36 Celcius

After 1st readings this was 2 months ago ;put ngk iridium spark plugs and removed the snorkel (didnt cut anything)and went for an obd testing .As i can

read from excel output tables;

P(in)=2,41 Bar
T(in)=51 Celcius
T(ambient)=21 Celcius
Also max mass air flow is 145,19 gm/s.

Having kn air intake filter E-2993 in both records.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yay! I did the snorkel delete! I took out the 2 pieces, they came out somewhat easily. Tight space but its doable.

I can definitely say I noticed a difference now when sitting idle. It does not vibrate now and acceleration feels solid. Good mod to do! Took me about 10 minutes! woo hoo!

·
I WILL correct you.
5,328 Posts
Honestly, for something that is free and relatively quick and easy to do. This mod takes the proverbial cake.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I just took mine off, I have my doubts as to seeing any real gains, IMO the snorkel with all the holes drilled in it, didn't look that restrictive. I hope it's not too much louder now.

·
Registered
247 Posts

Sorry for stealing your image jdubhack I just wanted to clarify..
Is this the flap that gets cuts? Can't this top part just the remove apart from the bottom??

Anyone have a link to the newmission mod I want to see what everyone is talking about but can't find it using the search.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Update:

I yanked out both pieces completely. I just did a highway drive now and my average fuel consumption dropped. I drove the exact same, cruise control on for a 80km drive across a highway @ 110kmph and I went from 7.9L/100km down to 6.3L/100km. Very nice mod to do! Highly recommended!

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
It does need to be said that in order to get maximum performance out of the snorkel delete that a replacement drop-in filter has to be installed. I don't have data on economy, but I do know that the dyno showed essentially the same power with/without the snorkel when using an OEM filter.

On top if that statement, those with drop-in replacements need the.snorkel delete in order to get maximum gains out of the filter. I was actually kind of surprised to see just how well both of these items were tuned together...

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am running on the stock filter right now. I'm still trying to source the K&N filter locally but nobody seems to have it stocked at all; everything online is $80+ which I think is too steep. I shall hunt one down and see the difference they make, but I do belive as you said I will see another gain out of the two together. Thanks for the original write up; if I did not see that I would have never known to attempt this :)

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I am running on the stock filter right now. I'm still trying to source the K&N filter locally but nobody seems to have it stocked at all; everything online is $80+ which I think is too steep. I shall hunt one down and see the difference they make, but I do belive as you said I will see another gain out of the two together. Thanks for the original write up; if I did not see that I would have never known to attempt this :)
Not a problem[thumb]

Yes, $80 is way too much. They have been seen on Amazon for as low as $38-I think I paid $55 through a local auto parts store (special order).

It's a little difficult to read, but my dyno thread shows the differences that all of the inexpensive mods make to the actual power output of the powertrain on a stock exhaust[thumb]

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am going to hop across the border and just get it from Autozone or something. I hate it up here sourcing parts; its a major rip off. Glad I live 1hr from NY :)

I will definitely check out the post. I am however just looking for non-invasive mods for now as this is my "new" car and want to keep it as stockish as possible. Maybe in the future I will attempt some more tricky stuff :)

Thanks again!

21 - 40 of 2220 Posts