Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2201 - 2220 of 2220 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, removing the snorkel isn't going to fix clutch shudder, that's for sure.
Oh of course, I ended up here from a google cross reference to his comment and was wonderig if a tune would fix it since its transmission related. But my current question is, I have a full stock 14 focus SE Sedan, I plan on doing this delete, would I need to buy a CAI kit first to use a drop in? The K&N filters I'm shown are the cylinders. Not the square drop ins I see in all the videos I've been watching.

·
Ford Fiend
2,976 Posts
K&N and several other companies make drop-in cylindrical filters for the Mk3 Focus. You don't need a "CAI" kit.

·
Registered
246 Posts
What is the ST inlet some people have been saying to add when you do the snorkel delete? I can’t find any references to it in the first couple pages of this thread.

·
Registered
614 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did the snorkel delete and K&N filter modification last weekend.

Hard to tell any difference in sound or performance, but fuel economy has improved about 2 MPG under the same conditions the car is regularly driven in. Is this typical of this modification?

I plan to do a cat back exhaust and Tom's tune in the near future. Also considering changing to the Mustang TB if it makes sense.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did the snorkel delete and K&N filter modification last weekend.

Hard to tell any difference in sound or performance, but fuel economy has improved about 2 MPG under the same conditions the car is regularly driven in. Is this typical of this modification?

I plan to do a cat back exhaust and Tom's tune in the near future. Also considering changing to the Mustang TB if it makes sense.
As far as sound I couldn't tell much difference either but a slight darth vader inhale when you floor it, stationary of course.

I had a decent increase in MPG as well. 2-4 MPG depending on how I'm feeling and the day of the week. Performace had a SLIGHT increase in higher rpms but barely noticeable. So yeah, you're sitting
good. 😎

I dont have the funds for a tune or exhaust atm but I plan the exact same in the future. But for now Im doing a cut at the resonator and straight piping to look stock. Also upgrading the TB is happening too, just still unsure as to which one to invest in. Have you looked into a new header as well? Tremendous flow with these mods my guy! Awesome plans none the less. Cant wait to see what else ya got! 😁

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ridix - I ordered the Mustang TB, Gasket and bolts last week. Next month the exhaust and the tune. At that point I'm done for awhile. I wish the exhaust wasn't so expensive but by all accounts this will result in better performance while not making the sound too loud or droning. Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sweet! Yeah, exhaust are pretty expensive. But you will definitely have some increased performance. I'm interested to see the Stang TB on it tbh. Do you have a website or part number I could use to research?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sweet! Yeah, exhaust are pretty expensive. But you will definitely have some increased performance. I'm interested to see the Stang TB on it tbh. Do you have a website or part number I could use to research?
These are all the part numbers required for the TB upgrade:

TB GB8Z-9E026-A
Gasket 9L8Z-9E936-A
Bolts W716585-S437

·
Registered
121 Posts
Video on TB (RDC) Upgrade

TB GB8Z-9E026-A
Gasket 9L8Z-9E936-A
Bolts W716585-S437
Helps with understanding all that's involved with removal of peripheral items and installation of new TB.

It feels awesome all the way through and through.
The video does pay respect to Red Devil Customs for coming up with this modification originally.

·
Registered
9 Posts
questions

I was wondering if these mods will work on a 2014 5 sp SE?
I have the RS airbox on my focus as well.
I was wondering what will be the impact on the throttle response for a car in the Denver area which is at 5280 ft above see level?

thanks

bob

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Too much flow through the engine at this altitude might actually slow you down a bit up here and push torque higher up in the rpms and we need all the torque we can get the 2900lbs moving if you really want to see a real world diff.

IMO save your money or buy a turbo ST if you want to defeat the altitude a bit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New focus owner here, I have read through the thread and am still unsure if the delete would benefit the setup that I have planned. I have ordered an RS airbox and Cobb open ended filter. Once installed would the additional openness of the filter and box combo negate the benefit of deleting the snorkel? Trying to get some advice from owners with a similar setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New focus owner here, I have read through the thread and am still unsure if the delete would benefit the setup that I have planned. I have ordered an RS airbox and Cobb open ended filter. Once installed would the additional openness of the filter and box combo negate the benefit of deleting the snorkel? Trying to get some advice from owners with a similar setup.
Hey! I don't have this setup, I just have the snorkel deleted with a drop in filter. I also removed my airbox resonator and got the bottom of the airbox that the ST's come with to plug that hole.

Ultimately, I don't foresee that using the RS airbox lid with a green openended filter in conjunction with the snorkel delete would negate any benefits. One thing you could possibly think of doing would be to, perhaps down the road, add one of those snorkels that feed the air directly into the airbox (for example, the Velossa Tech ones or Ford Racing snorkels.)

Again, this is all based off what little I know about the OEM snorkel delete and I could 100% be incorrect.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I tried the setup you are describing on my 2013 focus SE 5 spd manual, and did not like it.

I had first deleted the snorkel and dropin AEM filter with stock airbox, observed noticeable improvement in throttle response and low end pickup.

After a few hundred miles I added full rs airbox setup, increased the sound of intake (only above 3-4k rpm) and also observed drone at about 2~2.5K rpm while cruising in city traffic. Did not improve the performance, slightly reduced it, ambient temperature was around 100F and IAT's were 120+ around that time, I was heat soaking, so I went back to just snorkel delete + dropin AEM with stock airbox.

I am planning on 63mm throttle body upgrade and RAM air snorkel (3D printed)

Anshul

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I was wondering if these mods will work on a 2014 5 sp SE?
I have the RS airbox on my focus as well.
I was wondering what will be the impact on the throttle response for a car in the Denver area which is at 5280 ft above see level?

thanks

bob
Too much flow through the engine at this altitude might actually slow you down a bit up here and push torque higher up in the rpms and we need all the torque we can get the 2900lbs moving if you really want to see a real world diff.

IMO save your money or buy a turbo ST if you want to defeat the altitude a bit.
I'm at 5,000ft-6,000ft ASL and I don't have too many issues with low end torque. Just ensure you're using 91 instead of 85.

I tried the setup you are describing on my 2013 focus SE 5 spd manual, and did not like it.

I had first deleted the snorkel and dropin AEM filter with stock airbox, observed noticeable improvement in throttle response and low end pickup.

After a few hundred miles I added full rs airbox setup, increased the sound of intake (only above 3-4k rpm) and also observed drone at about 2~2.5K rpm while cruising in city traffic. Did not improve the performance, slightly reduced it, ambient temperature was around 100F and IAT's were 120+ around that time, I was heat soaking, so I went back to just snorkel delete + dropin AEM with stock airbox.

I am planning on 63mm throttle body upgrade and RAM air snorkel (3D printed)

Anshul
63mm, stock airbox, snorkel, and airbox resonator delete works perfect.

·
Registered
1 Posts

TB GB8Z-9E026-A
Gasket 9L8Z-9E936-A
Bolts W716585-S437
Hi guys, I'm going to refresh the thread. As I own an Ti-VCT engine not 2.0 but 1.6 105BHP (hooray for EU downsize...) will above TB fit in? I've already got K&N intake mounted and now searching for some other mods that could help me out with this beast.

2201 - 2220 of 2220 Posts