Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2181 - 2200 of 2220 Posts

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Like you know the dual clutch transmission for automatics how it shakes, shutters , and jerks. Like will it make it shutter less ?
no. you should look into a tune though. that could help. the snorkel delete will just give you a little more hp with your high flow air filter.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm still hesitant to try Tom's tune since I have a hard time believing that between him and all of the engineers at Ford, he's the only one that's figured out the DCT issues are all software and not hardware. So until I can reconcile throwing almost $500 at something that will void my warranty and offer no guarantee of a fix, I thought I'd do the snorkel delete and AEM dry filter replacement, see if it makes any difference in the way the car handles.

I have no proof one way or another - and so it could be the placebo effect - but I swear the car shifts more smoothly (particularly the 1-2 shift), has less hesitation, and responds more quickly. I'm only one tank in, but my driving habits are boringly routine during the week, and I saw a bump in fuel economy, too (using 87). No noticeable change is sound at idle; if it whines more at a higher rev than it used to, I haven't noticed...but I also listen to the radio or music when I'm in my car, so I don't really know what it sounded like before. It does seem to shift later, which could account for the better response and smoother shifts, but I didn't really pay much attention before the mod and so can't say for sure.

I've got the latest clutch pack on my 2014 with ~41k miles and prior to the delete and AEM filter, I felt there were still issues with the B rev. I'll try to keep mental notes over the next couple of months - especially once we transition to summer fuel blend and the summer heat starts up - but so far I'm feeling good about this cheap mod! I might try Tom's tune in the future if the summer brings back poor shifting or delayed throttle response.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The throttle hang issue with my manual trans is very irritating. I think I saw something saying the tune can make that thorn in my side go away.

When warranty runs out I would have an interest for that issue. And I can probably figure out some other issues it would help with.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The throttle hang issue with my manual trans is very irritating. I think I saw something saying the tune can make that thorn in my side go away.

When warranty runs out I would have an interest for that issue. And I can probably figure out some other issues it would help with.
I've learned it helps a little if you don't mash down the clutch as soon as you let off the accelerator. It's still a huge pain to have to deliberately shift in that way, but it'll help while you're still in warranty.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've learned it helps a little if you don't mash down the clutch as soon as you let off the accelerator. It's still a huge pain to have to deliberately shift in that way, but it'll help while you're still in warranty.
Have 16,000 + miles and still learning.........

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a few questions about this....
Is the snorkel only one the manual transmission or both auto and man?
Does the 2016 SE have a snorkel?
What does it look like?
If it is on the 2016 SE, how do I get to it?

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have a few questions about this....
Is the snorkel only one the manual transmission or both auto and man?
Does the 2016 SE have a snorkel?
What does it look like?
If it is on the 2016 SE, how do I get to it?
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, however I believe that every single Ford Focus has it. No matter the engine, transmission or year

·
Registered
103 Posts
Does anyone know how to get to it on the 2016? I tried taking the plastic peice off that has the hood release on it, but it seems to be attached to the grille somehow so I stopped because I didnt want to break anything.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Does anyone know how to get to it on the 2016? I tried taking the plastic peice off that has the hood release on it, but it seems to be attached to the grille somehow so I stopped because I didnt want to break anything.
While it may seem like you are going to break something, you wont.

The MK3.5 cover seems more difficult to get behind than the earlier MK3 cover. But it is doable.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Follow the instructions at the beginning of the thread. Also search for ChalupaJones’ video on it.
Awesome thank you, I will look up the video! I tried following the instructions in the OP, but thought it was different than mine due to year of vehicle.

While it may seem like you are going to break something, you wont.

The MK3.5 cover seems more difficult to get behind than the earlier MK3 cover. But it is doable.
Ok, I was also trying to remove it completely so I could paint it to match the battery box lid, air box lid and fuse box lid that I have already painted.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
With the snorkel I just popped the plastic cover over it and popped the tabs on the snorkel with muscle and yanked it up and out,it wasn't really pretty but it wasn't hard.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Like you know the dual clutch transmission for automatics how it shakes, shutters , and jerks. Like will it make it shutter less ?
I have the saaaaame problem and was told its the Transmission Control Module and theres a recall up to 100k miles or 10 years I believe. I havent read through this thread completely but I saw your comment and been trying to find a work around because the local Ford dealership is being a pain. I have a 14 Focus SE. You figure anything out yet? I was thinking a tune might be easier and more beneficial.

·
Ford Fiend
2,976 Posts
Well, removing the snorkel isn't going to fix clutch shudder, that's for sure.

2181 - 2200 of 2220 Posts