Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2161 - 2180 of 2220 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did this today on my lunch time. Idle shudder is less, 1st-2nd shifting stutter is gone. It sounds a bit louder when I floor it but not much, but I did also put a new FRAM air filter on for now until I filter out if I want just do a K&M or some other mod.

The snorkel delete does make a difference though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did this today on my lunch time. Idle shudder is less, 1st-2nd shifting stutter is gone. It sounds a bit louder when I floor it but not much, but I did also put a new FRAM air filter on for now until I filter out if I want just do a K&M or some other mod.

The snorkel delete does make a difference though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did the snorkel delete last weekend, and I have to say I'm impressed with the results. The awkward 1st-2nd shifting while driving around at low speeds, which bugged me to no end, is totally gone and the acceleration is just smoother overall. Totally worth the 5 minutes it took.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just did the snorkel delete and added a green filter. Wow!!! What a difference just an air filter made!!!! Cannot wait for the tune and exhaust....Did find out that my Focus tops out at 119. would not pull past that.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I finally got around to taking off the snorkel. Getting those little push pins off was a pain in the rear. I think I could pull the engine in the same time.........:)

I'll see how it drives tomorrow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I finally decided to upgrade the intake on my 14 SE, and had a couple of questions. First off, will the K&N Typhoon perform noticeably better than snorkel delete with green filter? Either way, I'll eventually purchase a tune from Tom. Also, I've seen everything from simply removing the snorkel, to also drilling holes, cutting, or removing flaps. That was all posted early on in this thread. Is that still necessary, or will removing the snorkel only produce the same results? Thanks for any input on this.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Also, I've seen everything from simply removing the snorkel, to also drilling holes, cutting, or removing flaps. That was all posted early on in this thread. Is that still necessary, or will removing the snorkel only produce the same results? Thanks for any input on this.
All that cutting up the front was for crazy folks who find 'just right' to never be anywhere enough.. and have to go to 'total insane folly' to feel they did it right.

The snorkel delete is the 'just right' amount of screwing around.
My 'proof' of this is LOOK AT THE ST. The ST sucks in enough air to make 250 plus hp, yet it too sucks the air through the exact same front frame hole AND FILTER as the regular MK3..
(the ONLY difference is the snorkel thing was never on the ST, and the ST has a little venturi in the snorkels place)
So why is chopping BIG HOLES in the body stuff in front gonna help??
IMO it will in fact hurt due to turbulance.

So clearly, I am a big NO on chopping up the front end for dubious results

·
Registered
6 Posts
Glad to hear that. I’m not a fan of doing permanent damage to my vehicle, but have no issue removing the snorkel. I’ll start there with a green filter, and leave the option later of swapping out with a CAI. Thanks again for clearing that up!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
All that cutting up the front was for crazy folks who find 'just right' to never be anywhere enough.. and have to go to 'total insane folly' to feel they did it right.

The snorkel delete is the 'just right' amount of screwing around.
My 'proof' of this is LOOK AT THE ST. The ST sucks in enough air to make 250 plus hp, yet it too sucks the air through the exact same front frame hole AND FILTER as the regular MK3..
(the ONLY difference is the snorkel thing was never on the ST, and the ST has a little venturi in the snorkels place)
So why is chopping BIG HOLES in the body stuff in front gonna help??
IMO it will in fact hurt due to turbulance.

So clearly, I am a big NO on chopping up the front end for dubious results

I agree with you Elizabeth....I did the simple snorkel delete and installed an AEM Dryflow A/F and my car no longer hesitates at take-off....before doing these simple mods my 5 speed M/T was very difficult to get a smooth take-off...it's now much improved.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Not an automotive engineer, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn.

I look at it as the snorkel keeps noise down, for what they feel most drivers demand. It is probably the greatest restriction by far in the whole intake system. Maybe it does something else as well.......... Does not really seem louder to me with mine off.

Look at it like the flow restriction plates on NASCAR race cars. They are still fast cars with them on. I wanted my snorkel off for the hesitation problem. I was blown away to think Ford would have the snorkel on when it's causing the car to hesitate off the line.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This thread has been a fun read. Thanks to all those with keen insight for providing data and info. And, to many others for the humor factor, whether they meant to or not. [unsure]

Having purchased a 2015 SE two days ago and voraciously reading several of the longer mod threads through from the beginning, I was eager to do this mod.

With only a couple hundred miles in the saddle and prior knowledge of the persnickety nature of the DCT, throttle response, learning capabilities of the computers, and how they all play together, I looked forward to seeing how this one tip can help toward addressing several aspects of these quirks.

Removal was a bit of a pain, but not too bad thanks to the video. I was glad for the way the shrouds under the snorkel caught the plastic bits as they were removed, and made it easy to use a grabber to retrieve them.

What I've noticed (keeping in mind my vastly minimal experience with the car, and the fact that I've only just placed the Amazon order for the Dry Filter) is that it makes a nice "noise" (as Jeremy Clarkson would say) and that throttle response from a stop seems improved. It doesn't feel like it is hopping as much as before.

Shifting seems to be improving at lower speeds, but, that may just be that the previous owner wasn't as aggressive a driver and the clutches and dynamic performance mapping are warming up to my style of driving. (yes, I read the DCT notice thread too)

Nonetheless, I trust the data I read in the first post, and found ChalupaJones' video most helpful. (though, honestly, that avatar is a taco, chalupas are served flat everywhere except Taco Bell [:p])

I have no desire to hack on the various pieces of plastic and rubber hoping for "more" without somebody else having proven with a dyno or other repeatable method of data collection that any such work renders measurable results.

What Sailor or someone else mentioned regarding the curved surface on the various performance snorkels from other Focus models smoothing flow makes some sense. Has anyone adapted the RS snorkel to a 15 or newer Focus SE? I'm curious if the new grill design will line up well with that piece, whether from Ford or 3D Printed (I bookmarked that link, thanks BTW) if I find a nearby Maker group who would print it for fun and minimal profit.

I'll keep an eye on this thread going forward. Thanks again to all who have contributed.

Lastly, [dunno] I don't understand how some people read a few posts on the last page or two and then begin asking questions without glancing through the previous 200 pages for answers first. Hint: The Secret of Knowledge, the more you read the fewer questions you will have. Plus, you will appear neither lazy, nor annoying to those who have done so. [like]

·
Registered
395 Posts
Welcome.

Replace the RMM with the ERMM(or the aftermarket RMM of your choice) and you will immediately feel additional improved engagement of the drive train. Snorkel delete, K&N filter for me, and the ERMM were the immediate enhancements I did to my second MK3 Focus after having benefitted from them on my first MK3.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have there been any good in-depth guides on how to get the trim clips on the snorkel itself out? I can't seem to get my screw driver in there and I suppose it doesn't help that I'm doing this by myself. Any advise would be appreciated as I really want to get this little mod done.

Thanks all.

EDIT:

I was able to take the snorkel out after a quite a bit of frustration. What a difference!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Between the change to 93 octane and the snorkel delete, it feels like a new car. No hesitation or jerkiness and it no longer feels out of breath mashing the gas on the highway.

2161 - 2180 of 2220 Posts