Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2121 - 2140 of 2220 Posts

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
^^^ well I never noticed that much difference, Lol..but car felt more responsive for sure..dct shifted better..although I did the RMM at same time so hard to say if snorkel helped it, I think it did

·
Registered
394 Posts
^^^ well I never noticed that much difference, Lol..but car felt more responsive for sure..dct shifted better..although I did the RMM at same time so hard to say if snorkel helped it, I think it did
The ERMM(what I put in my car) makes a world of difference in terms of response. The slop of the original RMM is replaced with a balanced connection to the frame. So you will be quicker because the engine torque is able to transfer to the wheels quicker. Not necessarily by a bunch but it is noticeable.

The drop in filter with the ERMM and snorkel delete are still the best $100/bang for the buck you can spend on this car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wanted to give my experience on this upgrade...

I did the snorkel delete and found that there was a louder sound and it felt smoother. This was done in the summer time. Once winter hit I noticed that it wasn't all that great and I had issues of noticing that while engaging from stop to first gear it wasn't as smooth. I don't know how the seasons would make any difference but when I put the snorkel back on the car felt smoother. I have no other mods. I doubt there are any hp gains from this upgrade other than added noise.

Also this is not a hard upgrade job to do. It took me 10-15min to put the snorkel back on and all I had used to do the job was 1 flat head screw driver and a flash light. I was by myself and it was night time.

I personally prefer the less noise when I give the gas after having the snorkel off for 6 months.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello FoFo Fanatics!
Lurked for a month or so, read this ENTIRE thread the past few days; tons of knowledge here, likely too much for my brain to soak it all in. I definitely want to do this. Thinking I'll get the ST intake piece as well (peace of mine/mild aerodynamics, mostly).

Now I'm a complete noob when it comes to cars; this is my first car, and I haven't done anything to it. Only a few things I'm really wondering/concerned about:
1) does anyone have a video of how the AEM (or any closed filter, I guess) sounds? I have seen videos of the open-end Green filter and want to compare how they sound.
2) I'm aware closed has more benefits, but the "fun factor" of the open end may be appealing sometimes, so I'm considering the K&N that I can pop the cap on/off for. How difficult is it for a beginner to re-apply the oil to the filter itself? Alternatively, is this something the dealership would do?
3) Is putting in a filter/deleting the snorkel going to screw over my warranty? I know it was gone over briefly, but I think that was just the snorkel and not the filter.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
The K&N service is all you and it's easy and plenty of vids on youtube showing it done.

Removing the snorkel will not void the warranty since I doubt they'd ever know you did it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info guys. I'm thinking I may go with the AEM filter; listened to some videos of other closed filters and they still sounded pretty loud (but also pretty nice); can't imagine wanting to go much louder.
Will also need to have a look about getting the ST snorkel. I don't really like the idea of leaving it just bare like that, and 5 bucks is a low price to pay.

Either way, looks like it'll all have to wait a bit; it started snowing here after such beautiful weather. I hope not many people here swapped out their winter tires...

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
You're not going to hurt anything by not having something there. Just go with the k&n drop in filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
You're not going to hurt anything by not having something there. Just go with the k&n drop in filter.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Sorry to be a pain, but is there any huge benefit of the K&N over the AEM Dry Filter? I am not experienced with car things like this at all, so am somewhat wary on doing so; don't want to break my MAF or other components (though I guess the instructions are likely pretty simple).
There's also that on Amazon.ca, the price difference between the AEM AE-20993 and the K&N E-2993 is about $30... The K&N E-9289 is another $10 (so $40 from the AEM). Haven't really looked locally with the weather as it is. Thanks again!~

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Changing STOCK air filter is no different than changing any of the optional ones, MAF is down the intake tube a bit from the intake box. Just cover the hole with a draped rag if leaving the filter off for a while in the process and don't shove anything down the hole.

Sound won't change appreciably with a closed box between filter types/brands, only when you take the top OFF or use an open end style filter (only opens to additional filter area, NOT wide open).

2121 - 2140 of 2220 Posts