Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I bought a used 2012 Focus Hatchback SE 5sp over the holidays. I feel like it's lacking a little bit in low end/responsiveness. I have been reading the forums and I am thinking the rear motor mount insert from FSWERKS, the snorkel delete, and drop in filter may be inexpensive ways to to alleviate that feeling. With that being said, I have been reading the posts and I think some of them have been so long I can't find the answers I am looking for.

1. With the snorkel delete do I need to remove the shroud? I don't want to cut or fold anything, so I would rather leave it or take it out it if it's necessary.

2. As for a drop in filter, do I need to leave the top off the airbox to see any benefits? And is any other filter that much better than the K&N?

Thanks for any guidance that is given and I look foward to reading more of the posts on the site!

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Congrats on your new car. You do not have to remove the shroud. It helps to have a friend help pull it back out of the way while you remove the push pins and remove the snorkel. You should see about an 8 hp increase with the snorkel delete + K&N drop in. Don't leave the airbox open. Cold dense air makes more power so you don't want to pull in warm air from under the hood. Go easy with the oil on the K&N filter as some have said it caused them MAF problems.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to the Duratec TiVCT Performance section.

·
Registered
97 Posts
im about to do the snorkel delete but im having difficulty with the shroud. any suggestions on getting it out of the way?

and I was worried about the K&N filter oil, but I found AEM makes one that doesnt require oil

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went with the K&N cause the oil application process didn't seem that hard. Aa for the shroud, as wavsine said that it's helpful to have a have second or third pair of hands to hold the shroud. I hope to do it Saturday. I'll update this thread if I figure out somehting useful.

·
Registered
952 Posts
im about to do the snorkel delete but im having difficulty with the shroud. any suggestions on getting it out of the way?

and I was worried about the K&N filter oil, but I found AEM makes one that doesnt require oil
If you don't have a second set of hands for the shroud (I didn't) find something you can wedge in there. I used a couple of tiny blocks of soft wood on each end which gave my giant hands plenty of room to maneuver. You can use anything that will fit just be careful to not damage paint etc when you place it. Even a big fat rolled up news paper could help a bit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Don't know if you did your delete yet. Did mine by myself, took about 10 minutes. I would should suggest undoing the bolts that attach the shroud. That allowed me to lift the shroud a little more to reach my hands in. I just broke the fasteners that attach the snorkel. I think they are pretty cheap to buy and I don't really plan to re-attach the snorkel. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
505 Posts
if you are doing a drop in filter look for some of the kits that come with box extenders.

i just got my 2nd 2014 focus and i was running the aftermarket filter with the lid on as a comparison from my old (totaled) focus. and all it gave me was a bit more engine noise. Just the other day i installed the extender and it gave me more response with the low end.

i personally use the Airaid CAI system in my 14. comes with a filter (oiled or not) and a box extender that creates a seal against the inside of the hood when it is closed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if you are doing a drop in filter look for some of the kits that come with box extenders.

i just got my 2nd 2014 focus and i was running the aftermarket filter with the lid on as a comparison from my old (totaled) focus. and all it gave me was a bit more engine noise. Just the other day i installed the extender and it gave me more response with the low end.

i personally use the Airaid CAI system in my 14. comes with a filter (oiled or not) and a box extender that creates a seal against the inside of the hood when it is closed.
I'm new to all this so what would be the benefit of the box extender? I put my K&N in fine I think. no gaps that I could see and the lid went back no probs. Also, I do feel like I am getting bit better responsiveness in the lower RPM's and doesn't sound much louder, which is good. Does the computer need time to adjust the changes? I see my Avg. MPG slowly declining today but it's all been city driving for the most part.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'm new to all this so what would be the benefit of the box extender? I put my K&N in fine I think. no gaps that I could see and the lid went back no probs. Also, I do feel like I am getting bit better responsiveness in the lower RPM's and doesn't sound much louder, which is good. Does the computer need time to adjust the changes? I see my Avg. MPG slowly declining today but it's all been city driving for the most part.
IMO the extender opens up more of the filter surface for air to be sucked into. when i took my top off of the air box after having the aftermarket filter in there it had some dents from the top where it was hitting it.

and the computer will take a few drives to recalculate everything and youll start to notice a little gain in MPG

plus it looks pretty nice. here is mine with an outerwears pre filter on it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Ok, yeah I was wondering about that. I will drive for a couple of weeks than check the filter again. How is the noise? I am not trying to call too much attention to myself especially with the color of car! I am guessing this is the pre-filter to use: http://www.outerwearsracing.com/proddetail.asp?prod=37567
as long as you have the stock exhaust on its just a half tone louder on the outside. nothing that would draw attention to you.

and yes. thats the one. i used that because i did the snorkel delete and during the dry parts of summer i noticed i was getting a good bit of debris in my airbox.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah. So are you recommending the Outerwears WITH a box extender? I was informed that not putting the lid back on was not the best for performance or efficiency.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Not entirely. I used the prefilter to help extend the life of my filter because i drive about 26k a year. Just helps keep it cleaner.

The box extender acts as a heat shield from the engine bay. That's why people say it a bad to just leave lid off because of heat soak thus loss of power.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I use one by airaid. Rousch makes one. Think steeds does too. Probably more by now

1 - 20 of 20 Posts