Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I let my brother borrow my car (my mistake...) He calls me not even a day later "ummmm, something broke, you need to come look at it." I get there and the cv joint is sitting on the ground with half the boot attatched, grease everywhere.

So great, I get it towed to the dealership since it was close and I haven't even had the car in a shop since I've owned it... Takes a few days and they tell me to replace the ONE halfshaft, it's going to be 870! Ummm, I know dealerships are notorious for high prices, but that seems high to me by about half.. Oh, and also he told me it broke because I'm lowered (lol) which is bs imo.

What say ye, mechanics of ff?

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
what are your mods? Most likely low had nothing to do with it, imo.

with some tools and a little time you could do that shaft by yourself. Just remove the brakes, the hub nut, the strut from the knuckle then work the outer end around the knuckle, and pry/hammer out the old shaft. <- Kinda a over simplification but that's about it.

·
slow
1,734 Posts
Looks like list price for this part is ~ $400 on tousley's site. So I could see it hitting close to $800 at a dealership depending on labor rate.

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
man thats rough go find them somewhere else and do it yourself. not much is required and if it is the passenger said no real prying required just pull it out. remember to fill your tranny after that

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No real power adder mods yet, just coilovers and bolt ons. My guess is that the po launched it a few times, and my brother is new at stick, dropped it a little hard, and it was the straw that broke the camel's back. I'd like to do it myself, unfortunately I don't have any time right now, being so busy with work/school. It might be worth the 400 for convenience sake this time...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mk, after thinking about it for a while and talking to a few people, I've decided I'm going to tackle this one on my own. A friend has offered to let me use his garage complete with lift/airtools/hopefully all the other tools I'll need. Now I just need to decide from where I will get the parts. Is there a reason I should be looking at the more expensive OEM parts from ford rather than something aftermarket? If the half shaft snapped in half, I'm really just replacing that "one" assembly right? basically two shafts w/ a boot in the middle containing the CV joint? Am I relatively close on my understanding of that? Also, I plan on replacing both since I'll be under there.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got in touch with Tousley Ford and parts should arrive at my door in two days.
~400 for BOTH sides. Much better than ~1800.

Also going to install a spec stage 2 clutch while I'm in there.

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
the stage 2 clutch your going to have to drop the tranny... alot more work lol

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
well thats awesome! hope all goes well. and your axles should withstand launching your stock car... i launch mine all the time. especially just after getting 2 step.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts