Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

New to the forums. I got a 2017 Focus SE Hatch not too long ago and it was time to do the first oil change. So I checked the manual for the oil requirements so it recommended 5W-20 and the oil should also meet Ford’s specifications WSS-M2C945-A. So I check online for the best prices on Motorcraft 5W-20 Synthetic Blend which obviously meets the requirements. My local Walmart had a 5 qt jug in stock for $18.35 so I went to pick it up. The jug of Motorcraft 5W-20 had WSS-M2C945-B1 instead of WSS-M2C945-A. So I Google the new found Ford oil specification and could not find a TSB or any info from Ford. But from my research I found out the the new spec is a change from America Petroleum Institute (API) SN to API SN Plus. Basically car manufacturers are pushing modern GDI engines to the limits, especially turbo charged GDI engines, and any oil that gets in the combustion chamber (from PCV system or past the piston rings) can make low speed pre ignition worse (LSPI). So on the old oil at low engine speeds (and low wheel speed in bumper to bumper traffic)I did feel vibrations from the engine but I just assumed it was transmission shutter (if you didn’t already know I have the DCT) as that’s what most people complaining about the MK3 Foci mention. Now at low speeds I can feel the clutches engaging but no vibrations or at least not as bad with the new oil. Not sure if it’s a placebo effect or what but that’s what I can report so far, reduced LSPI. Also, it looks like Kendall Oil makes the Motorcraft stuff. So long story short make sure the oil you get for next oil change meets the new specs SN Plus and WSS-M2C945-B1.

Any input on this is welcomed and if any Ford techs can confirm that would be awesome.

Also I read up on some of the Focus ST guys trying to get a tune to help with the LSPI as well. Apparently there is still a lot of research to be done in regards to increasing fuel economy/power and reducing LSPI.

I had found links on the oil and LSPI but I can’t post as a new member so google these terms if you wanna read up on LSPI:

kendall motor oil gf-5-plus-addressing-lspi-in-direct-injection-engines

hfcsdchemicalsandlubricants XO-5W20-Q1SP

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Also, it looks like Kendall Oil makes the Motorcraft stuff.
That would be a major change since it was produced by ConocoPhillips before.

Any input on this is welcomed and if any Ford techs can confirm that would be awesome.
What exactly are you asking us to confirm?

Ford constantly updates their oil spec. There's no reason to release a TSB just because the additive package changes a little. Releasing a TSB every time Ford changes their oil spec would cause more problems than it would ever prevent.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be a major change since it was produced by ConocoPhillips before.

So with a quick google search it seems ConocoPhillips owns Kendall Oil. Thanks for that info bc I didn’t know that lol.

What exactly are you asking us to confirm?

I just couldn’t find info from Ford online, but you pretty much answered the question. Thank you again!

·
FF Affiliate
30,482 Posts
I tune these engine all the time , I run Mobile 20-50 full Syn and I dont have any LSPI , if you dont have a way to datalog the knock sensors you wont know if you have/had LSPI or if changing the oil helped it if you have it

So my question is how do you know your oil change helped LSPI

Second question is did you change the trans oil ?

Tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So my question is how do you know your oil change helped LSPI
I don't data log but I felt a decent vibration twice on the original oil. Then I changed the oil have not felt the same vibration since. But there is no real way to know for sure. I should mention it's a brand new Focus of the dealership lot. I did the first oil change at about 1000 miles and I'm getting close to 1500 now. But the car is still breaking in so who knows? I think I should start data logging tho...

Second question is did you change the trans oil ?
Tom
No, I was thinking some where around 40k to 50k miles for that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ah I was a bit confused on why you asked about trans fluid Tom. Maybe my wording on the OP was wierd or you miss read? I was specifically talking about engine oil through the post. But since I learned about LSPI I though I may have been confusing engine vibrations with trans vibration. At this point who knows what it was but I haven't felt it since and I hope it stays that way lol. Thanks for your insight Tom.

·
FF Affiliate
30,482 Posts
Not to thick at all , I have always run heavier oil because I run my engine hard and I live where its 90+ deg , winter I drop back to a 40wt

Runs great , no issues at all

Ford oil specs are great for going to work , grocery story and home , in my opinion not so good if your modding it and running hard

Tom

·
Registered
15,740 Posts
X2 to that, low vis oil wears more in my view, for mileage only. Been running heavier for 30 years and can't kill any engine it goes into. Here in Texas.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
LSPI isn't really an issue on NA GDI engines as they can't reach the peak cylinder pressures at low engine speeds their boosted GTDI counterparts can achieve.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts