Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty much ever since I put my turbo on I've been smoking. Recently it's gotten kinda bad, so I'm a little worried. It only happens when I get on it somewhat hard and then let off on the gas. Do you guys think it might be my turbo or could there be something else wrong? If it is the turbo, what could I do, just replace it? It's a 14b with god-knows how many miles on it.

·
Stock
5,040 Posts
Color smoke? What does it smell like? My turbo that came with my used kit was shot and was pouring out whitish/blue smoke and smelled like burning oil. I was gonna get mine rebuilt but in the end getting a new one was actually cheaper.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The smoke is definitely whitish/blueish, and I'm not 100% what it smelled like, but I would put my money on it smelling like burning oil.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Quick guess... either turbo seals or rings.... is there any oil in your charge piping????

If not do a compression test.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
I would put my money on the turbo being bad. Is there play in the shaft at all?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quick guess... either turbo seals or rings.... is there any oil in your charge piping????

If not do a compression test.
I haven't thought to check the charge piping. I'll do that this weekend as well as a compression test. So if I do find oil in the charge piping, what do you think the problem would be? And I assume if I find a cylinder or two that has way low compression compared to the other three, I got a bigger problem than just a bad turbo on my hands.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would put my money on the turbo being bad. Is there play in the shaft at all?
There was some very slight play before installing it. I also noticed the beginnings of a crack in the exhaust housing, but I didn't think it would be too big of a deal as it was rather small, but maybe I was mistaken.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
So if I do find oil in the charge piping, what do you think the problem would be? .
If you have oil then you have a turbo with bad seals.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so basically as long as my compression is okay, the turbo's about to die.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Ok, so basically as long as my compression is okay, the turbo's about to die.
That would be my best guess. I assume it still builds good boost? The only risk at running it until it day it croaks would be getting any material either into the intake or into the oil. Jsut a thought and something you may want to consider..

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Most turbos will have some shaft play, they are designed that way to allow proper oiling of the bearings. Once oil pressure is built up the shaft play usually goes away.

If you have alot of oil in the chagre pipe between the turboo and the TB then its most likely a seal/bearing... if you have oil (only) on the HOT side of the compressor (in the exhaust) it'll be piston related..... if you have oil on both sides you may be screwed [poke]

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That would be my best guess. I assume it still builds good boost? The only risk at running it until it day it croaks would be getting any material either into the intake or into the oil. Jsut a thought and something you may want to consider..
Yeah, it's building boost fairly well. It's still a little slower than what I would expect and what other people tell me this turbo on this engine is capable of, but it's still a relatively quick spool up to 10 psi.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I checked my compression and everything seems just fine. I also didn't find any oil in the charge piping, so now I'm completely lost. Could this be a problem with the tune? I smell fuel every time I get on it, so I know it's running pretty rich, but would that cause it to smoke like it is?

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
what were the numbers of the compression test

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cyl. 1: 180
cyl. 2: 200
cyl. 3: 185
cyl. 4: 195

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Could this be a problem with the tune? I smell fuel every time I get on it, so I know it's running pretty rich, but would that cause it to smoke like it is?

Too much fuel and you'll wash the cylinder walls down, which in turn causes the rings the scrape the block instead of riding on a thin film of oil.

·
Registered
305 Posts
It would also be possible for the oil to be dumping out of the exhaust side. I dont know if you have pulled off the downpipe. It could be smoking from running extremly rich, but it wouldnt be blue.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm changing the oil tomorrow, got 10w-30 at the recommendation of my uncle and dad. While I'm down there I'll take off the downpipe and check for oil. I'll also try to have my dad drive the car with me following so I can see exactly what color the smoke is. I wanna say it's a blueish-whiteish, but I'm not 100%.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so the smoke is definitely blue and it smells like oil

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you guys think it could be my valve seals? It seems smoke comes billowing out only when I let off the gas after getting on it. This makes me think I'm burning oil when the IM is under the greatest vacuum. Does this make sense or am I completely off?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts