Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im about to swap smoked taillights with a guy i know but he said that hes gotten a ticket for them before for insufficient lighting. they pulled him over for something else, but he got out of it...and then bagged him for the taillights. they are dark but i can still see the bulbs/lights really well...

main question is are there any solid laws regarding smoked/tinted taillights. i live in ny so if anyone knows of any laws regarding this solely to ny laws thatd be good too.

i guess im just paranoid about it but the last thing i need right now is a stupid taillight ticket that can be avoided..and ps: i ran a search and only saw some bits and pieces about this topic but i think its pretty legitimate for its own thread.

thanks

·
暗炎
1,925 Posts
I don't know about New York, but here in Ohio I've never had problems and mine are pretty dark

The law states that they are supposed to be visible from a specific distance. I believe it's 500 feet.

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
I dont think there is any legal issue. you could swap in led bulbs if you are worried.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
think about it this way...
its something for cops to pull you over for
and
if you get rear ended all they have to say is "i couldnt see his brake lights" and you get screwed over. happend to a friend of mine.

those are the 2 main reasons i will never smoke my tails

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i head that you are suppose to leave the reverse light untinted. At least where I live, it is unlawful to tint the reverse light. So what I did was tint everything but the little reverse light on my taillights. You might want to check your local laws on this one...

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
think about it this way...
its something for cops to pull you over for
and
if you get rear ended all they have to say is "i couldnt see his brake lights" and you get screwed over. happend to a friend of mine.

those are the 2 main reasons i will never smoke my tails
Yeah becareful,

Although I think even if you get rear ended, the other guys insurance will still pay for it, they may get out of the ticket, but its still thier fault.

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
I believe the law is you have to be able to see the light from 400 feet away in daylight. Leaving the reverse light un-tinted is more for an aesthetic purpose than anything else. LED lights are not actually brighter in the focus housing since the housing is reflective and LED lights are not made to reflect. You will find LEDs look less bright than normal bulbs when installed. Too much tint is not a good thing for either you or anyone behind you. If you decide to tint yourself instead of taking this guy’s tails tint light. Here is an example of lighter tint that I did on my car and this would pass DOT standards. As you can see, the reflectors are still visible. Don't buy lights that someone has already gotten pulled over with!!!! There is a reason they are getting rid of them.

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Also remember, some people can get away with this kind of stuff because they live in a less populated area. You live in NY...they are going to be more strict.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
i agree with michaeanthony if i ever rear ended someone with tinted tailights bc i couldnt see them i would be pissed and fight like hell to make it their fault. they do look good, just not worth it to me.

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
i see stock suv's with smoked tails all the time... right off the lot that way... i dont see the issue aslong as your bulbs are bright enough and shine through all the time.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
The law says that you need to be able to see your lights within 400ft in daylight, true, but police are the interpretation of the law. If they believe your taillights are too dark, they can and will give you a ticket. Good luck fighting it. Having said that, its all in degrees. I live in Tulsa and would probably not get pulled over for dark taillights, probably being the keyword here because I've even heard of it happening occasionally even here. Don't want to risk it? Tint light or don't tint at all.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't buy lights that someone has already gotten pulled over with!!!! There is a reason they are getting rid of them.
well it was me who even brought it up to him, but i can see why he would so readily give them to me no problem. FociZX4ST your tint is perfect and thats what i wanna go for, but ive only seen his lights at night. ill try to get a picture during the daytime to see what everyone thinkgs. thanks to all thus far

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
my buddy got introuble for his tail lights on his integra you couldn't see any reflection in them he ended up getting a fix it ticket and ended up getting another set to avoid issues

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I believe the law is you have to be able to see the light from 400 feet away in daylight. ....... As you can see, the reflectors are still visible.
^^ there it is.
there is a law about haveing to be seen in daylight and at a certain distance ,and possibly at a certain angle (depending on your area). there most likley is a law requiring that the reflectors also be visible at a certain distance ,and possibly at a certain angle.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
reflectors...as in just the insides of the housing? like in darkfire and focizx4st's pictures?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok i took some pictures of that guys car today in the daylight...they seem pretty damn dark to me. lemme know what you guys think

·
Registered
418 Posts
Whoa...very dark...I could EASILY see tickets pouring in on that one...

Most of the time, you can still see a bit of red in it, and you should be able to point a cheap flashlight at them and see the reflectors (my own homebrew test) at night, or they're too dark.

·
暗炎
1,925 Posts
Yeah, that might be a bit too dark.
As a side note, I got pulled over the other night for having a tail light out.
Officer didn't say anything about the tint and she had to have looked right at it...

Is that a For Sale sign in the window?
Did you just tint the tail lights on a car your going to sell?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts