Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 ZX3 and the stock fog lights are cool i suppose. But, stock ain't my style for lights. I want to smoke them out.

How would i go about doing this? I saw some on ebay for 70-100 bucks, but it looked like all they did was tint the inside chrome housing just a little bit. I just purchased niteshade; is it possible to take the housing apart on the fog lights? That way i could tint mine a little to a shade i like/clear coat it, and then just silicone them back up and go!

Perhaps someone who has done this or knows how to pull them apart safely could help me. I assume this won't hurt my light production too much because the light they produce is already pretty low, and a tint job+clear coat would hold a pretty good gloss level. Thanks in advance!

(link to the ebay auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__FOCUS-00-01-02-03-04-05-SMOKE-fog-light-FOGLIGHT-PAIR_W0QQitemZ400019747874QQadiZ2865QQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item400019747874&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A543|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318 )

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have mine smoked. I bought laminx from focus sport. CLICKY.

Here is a picture of what they look like.

And with them on.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The link didn't really work, but is it just basically a vinyl on top of the light? If that's the case, i'll probably just put niteshade on top of it. The light looks fine.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Laminex is like a vinyl. It is pretty thick and the benefits of it over night shade are:
1. It doesn't require taking the lens apart.
2. It is very easy and simple to install and hard to mess up.
3. It adds strength to the lens making it virtually impossible to break the lens.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, i have the niteshade, and i know how to do it; i did it on my previous car/a few of my friend's cars and it turned out fine (and glossy!), it's hard to screw up unless you drip (which is a novice mistake for painters). So i'm not too worried about it coming out wrong. I'll just paint the outside part, since that's all that the lamin-x does (exterior tint). Looks like i don't need to pull it apart for good results. Thanks for your help skikid89!

PS:saw the cardomain, your car looks sweet!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Not a problem. Good luck and post pics when ya get it done would ya? The only light I don't have tinted or cleared on my car is the third break light, and nightshade may just be my solution for this light ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts