Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well me and this beamer start to hit some good mountain twisties and he can't shake me so we hit this long 35mph left turn going faster then you would like to say!! And I look behind me and theres a huge cloud of blue smoke ! So I let the beamer go...slowed down and listened. car smoked when I gave it gas for a bit after but went away. it sounded fine and ran fine so i guess some oil got sucked into the intake from valve cover or from the oil seperator from the g's???[???:)] Anyone else ever experience this? i just did an oil change and i think its a little over full ill have to drain some out today! sorry for the repost had to change stuff and put in wrong section!!

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Folks used to have issues with Contour SVT and low oil when hard cornering.
Same thing, long freeway curve at full tilt, the engine oil light might come on.
It was the hard turning drove the oil away from the pickup if the oil was a little low. Scary.
I would guess your issue was the oil gettin slapped up into the piston skirts and just being chased up the piston over the rings? .. I would have to go with from below as being the reasonable way for oil to get into the combustion chamber.
A little too much oil in the sump makes sense too as a reason for the problem.
Hope it is a temporary problem.
Some folks got baffles in the oil sump to solve the issue in the Contour SVT. Others just ran a bit extra oil. For you, seem maybe a little LESS oil is better.
Since the engine is longitudinal, I would think all the oil went to one end of the motor...

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Taking a left turn wouldn't starve the oil pump, it's on that side or front of the motor (oil going to the right side of the car). I can't see the reason for this to happen unless you over filled it? Maybe someone will chime in with a better answer in the morning?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Taking a left turn wouldn't starve the oil pump, it's on that side or front of the motor (oil going to the right side of the car). I can't see the reason for this to happen unless you over filled it? Maybe someone will chime in with a better answer in the morning?
If you have not seen smoke again and have no issues, it's likely a one time thing. I used to do tech/safety inspections for SCCA (track racing) and saw a lot of smoke for some cars in long turns. Some Datsun B series were noted for this.

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
If u overfilled ur oil it sloshes up in the oil separator(the thing the pvc valve is connected to by the header) then the pvc sucks it up and the motor burns the oil= smoke out the tailpipe. Yup I did this once freaked me out lol

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
Also the zetec/Svt has a windage tray preventing oil pump starvation

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
More then likely your intake manifold has a good bit of oil in it , this is very common and all SVT that have the PCV hooked to the intake manifold will have oil in the manifold

It wouldnt come from an over fill or lack of oil

Tom

·
Registered
497 Posts
More then likely your intake manifold has a good bit of oil in it , this is very common and all SVT that have the PCV hooked to the intake manifold will have oil in the manifold

It wouldnt come from an over fill or lack of oil

Tom
Werd.

I'm guessing you where engine braking pretty hard and if so, you either just sucked up a bunch of oil that was sitting in the intake or your PCV valve is bad and not closing when the vacuum spikes as you engine brake.... So under WOT your oil baffle is slam full of vapors and oil and then when you suddenly engine brake the valve doesn't prevent the intake from sucking in too many vapors. This = lots of oil in the intake which = lots of blue smoke.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts