Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my mods are listed below, where should i go from here, i have a T/b in mind, other than that is there anything i can do that will not effect smod stuff? i am staying away from a header cuz the gains went hight enoughf for the price, acording to the focus builders book, and im loud enoughf.lol

anthony

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
i'd be more worried about carb then smog...something more serious in cali. pick up a carb cert intake and header...black throttle body

i said header...because you would spend 260 for throttle response but won't spend 350 for actual horsepower...hmm

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
i dont think a TBwould affect your carb legality, but you could get a short header andhigh flow cat and make some decent tourque

·
Registered
380 Posts
headers would be good, a tb should be legal, dont see why it wouldnt be..

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
Axman said:
headers would be good, a tb should be legal, dont see why it wouldnt be..
its an aftermarket component that effects performance which in turn needs a carb # to be legal in cali. many places would not know, but certainly people will be failed

·
Registered
380 Posts
thats kind of gay, glad i dont live in LA anymore. haha
although i havent driven my car in over a year now being deployed and all.
but someone would have to be a real dick to say anything about a TB or even shorty headers.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
A shorty header and hi flow cat will wake up your car alot.

F*** california forthe way they are getting on performance cars with their jackboot style tactics.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hey if I'm not mistaken a Random Tech high flow cat is carb legal as well as a BBK throttle which is smog legal (according to madperformance.net).

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
by no way will an aftermarket cat be carb legal as tampering with the cat is highly illegal in itself up to 80,000 miles.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the info guys, i will consider the shorty header but will that make me a lot louder?

anthony

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
not a lot louder, but enough to hear the difference.

·
Registered
388 Posts
soonerman77 said:
Hey if I'm not mistaken a Random Tech high flow cat is carb legal as well as a BBK throttle which is smog legal (according to madperformance.net).
just the clarify that statement, I said that about the BBK and not the HF cat. [:D]

·
Registered
845 Posts
Would a supercharger be considered a "bolt on", but with lots of time involved to bolt it on? I think they're legal because they don't mess with the cat.

You could do adjustable cam gears and just modify the cover to go back on for a stock appearance. You'd have to have them dyno tuned though (I suggest before and after so you can see the difference in power).

Larger plug wires helped my acceleration smooth out a lot. The stock wires sucked and was apparent on the voltage read outs on a dyno.

That Hyperground ground wire kit sounds interesting, but I dunno and won't suggest it until I've tried it

If you go with a shorty style header (which is carb legal in most cases), people have said it burns up the stock cat faster...I guess because of more heat, so you'll want a high flow cat IF you can have it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
CARB

I'm in cali too. Just go to the smog station and talk to the guy there. If he's cool about it, like the guy was with me, they'll take a visual look at your car and give you a freebie inspection. The guy who smogged me, said that as long as it didn't affect the cat and my intake (AEM CAI) was had a CARB EO, he passed me visually. They will still do the dyno and hook up to the ecu to measure hydrocarbons and that stuff. The law in cali states that ANY modification to an engine without a CARB EO is illegal. Some suggestions though... a crank pulley is hard to see because of it's location and gives modest gains, JBA shorty headers have a CARB EO bolted right on them, NOLOGY's are CARB exempt, a catback is totally legal, a black focus central TB should be hard to spot, Camshafts can't be seen (I have Kent Cams on my focus that have been tuned and still no check engine light), Jackson racing's supercharger is CARB legal too,and finally a clutch/flywheel job will give you better acceleration with no engine mods. If you have anymore questions, ask me... I just moved to Cali from CT and had to backtrack a lot of my stuff when i moved here, so I know the rules and how to get by them. My zetec is putting down 130 fwhp with no check engine and it's smog legal. I want a cop to pull me over and ask whats under the hood, only to show him all my CARB Eo's. hehehe[}:)]

·
Registered
697 Posts
lol tsk tsk focalwhippet713

then again i agree

1 - 16 of 16 Posts