Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 03 SVTF to the dealer last Wednesday for the 12,000 mile oil change. Next day I smell oil after driving on the highway for a short trip. OK, so I figure the tech spilled some oil and it is burning off. I would expect that to burn off after a few days, so no sweat.

Well, now it's been 5 days and I still smell oil. So off the the dealer I go...... please put my car up on the lift and let's have a look see. Well, every thing is dry, oil filter tight, drain plug tight, and no sign of oil. Good news me thinks.

Today I had to drive to Albany, about 1 hr each way, and when I get there I smell oil. I pop the hood sniff anround and look at what I can see, and nothing. This has me baffled. I can't figure out why I am smelling oil. (burnt oil) I have made another appointment for Thursday this week.

Any of you fine folks have any ideas? I'll let you know when I find out. Hope it is not some thing big, I can't deal with my car not being 100%, makes me crazy.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Other than the tech spilling oil, I dont know what else it would be...Sorry

I do have a similar problems, after I put gas in my SVTF, for a couple of miles I smell gas and it is so strong it makes your eyes water. Pop the hood do a lookie round and find nothing.

Is it possible that they spilled oil somewhere that you cannot see?

·
Registered
55 Posts
R&DSVTZX5 said:
I do have a similar problems, after I put gas in my SVTF, for a couple of miles I smell gas and it is so strong it makes your eyes water. Pop the hood do a lookie round and find nothing.
Uh-oh. That sounds like the fuel tank vent hose has come loose, or something similar. I would take it in and get it fixed ASAP!

You aren't a smoker, I hope?

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
bfocused, I have the exact same problem. I went in for an oil change at the Ford dealer, it came out smelling like burning oil. Figured it would burn off - it's been MONTHS and I can still occasionally smell burning oil, usually only when the car has been worked extra hard and the engine is hotter than normal. Nothing is obviously coated in oil, it is not leaking on the ground - I dunno. They must manage to get oil in the one place where it takes forever to burn off. Most dealers will admit off the record that they have the lowest guys on the totem pole doing the oil changes, they save the techs for more "important" stuff.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Yeah of course they do SVT4Me alot more people know how 2 change the oil on a car then how to actually fix something thats wrong with it so why waste the time of someone who can be fixing a car by making them change oil

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Seb656 said:
Yeah of course they do SVT4Me alot more people know how 2 change the oil on a car then how to actually fix something thats wrong with it so why waste the time of someone who can be fixing a car by making them change oil
Why have a tech do it? Because they have usually learned from their mistakes, and tend to be less sloppy. I'm sorry if you take offense, but I have had so many half-assed oil changes by dealers, oil change places, and independant repair shops, I'm a little tired of it. I'd do it myself if I had the time and the right tools (I don't have a good way to get under the car).

·
Registered
814 Posts
I had this problem, after the first time i changed my oil...not being familiar with the car yet i guess oil from teh oil filter got somewhere on the engine. It smelled for around a week before it went away. But i mostly smelt it when i came to a stop then started off again. But no leaks and the oil pressure was fine, so give it some more time...but yeah it did linger longer than i expected.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
lol sorry if i seemed offensive just saying techs are usually busy with bigger problems then oil changes and although techs no how 2 do it better the dealerships conserve techs for more complicated things thats all i was getting at it not saying they should but thats the reasoning behind it

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Okay. Thought maybe I hit a nerve - like maybe YOU were an oil changer at a shop. Sorry if anyone on here is and doesn't like what I said. All I know is, if that were my job, I'd do the best work I could; and all too frequently when I get my car back after an oil change, it looks like they did the worst work they could.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Hehhe i dont think i can remember the last time i paid someone to change my oil. :p

·
Registered
963 Posts
i have this problem too ive had since i got my car. mine is a littl eworse though, my engine smokes when i drive hard up a hill or something... ive taken it back to ford and they said nothing is wrong and all focuses have this smell. thats obviesly BS but goodluck with it and hope it works out

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
When my car wasn't broken in i made a big mistake and reved it that was a horrible smell

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used to work at the Ford dealership where I take my car for service. I have since retired. The reason I do choose to take the car there is because I know the people there and I am always treated with respect. (I get a discount too).
I know shops that do use a c tech or a b tech to change oil, leaving the other more complicated repairs to the A techs. But, I request a certain tech, when I make the appointment.

Of course I could change my own oil, but I live in a Townhouse, and they forbid any work on cars. Changing the oil is only a small part of the service I expect to get from a Ford Shop. I also expect the tech to look at the whole car, checking for leaks, and any other potential problems that a quickie lube shop might miss. The dealer also checks for any recalls while my car is there.

Well, I have an appointment on Thursday, and I hope they can find the source of this burnt oil smell. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for your replies, this is what makes Focus Fanatics so great. A cyper meeting of the minds you might say.
bfocused

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
My guess is when the oil filter was removed they got oil where you can't see... The first time I changed mine, I made a mess too! lol [;)]

·
Registered
793 Posts
bfocused i have had this problem with my zetec,, not svt but mostly the same... the valve cover gasket was leaking a little(i mean barely) in the front behind the heat shield and dripping on the exhaust manifold,, it could be the same.. its also really hard to seee back there so u may have missed it, its just a thought and i hope this helps

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Chucko said:
Uh-oh. That sounds like the fuel tank vent hose has come loose, or something similar. I would take it in and get it fixed ASAP!

You aren't a smoker, I hope?
I'm not a smoker and I will have it checked out. It happen again today, thanks for the info.[thumb]

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I did'nt make my appointment to check this out, got busy and had to re-schedule. But, I think I may have found the problem. I noticed my power steering fluid level was low. I think the pump is leaking out the front pulley and dripping on the header. I had to replace the power steering pump on my 00 Kona Focus a few years ago. So this may be the problem. I'll let you all know.
bfocused

·
Registered
580 Posts
mine was the valve cover gasket

i had the same thing - really bad oil burning smell, got a lot stronger when i would stop hard (or would stop on a downhill).

turns out i'm glad i don't clean my engine much - the layer of dust on the valve cover showed that oil was leaking out at 3 corners.

i took it back to the dealer, they put some kind of UV dye in the oil, then drive it and check where it's leaking. then they replaced the gasket (it was still under warranty).

here's the weird thing - i noticed it smelling bad right after an oil change, too. i live in an apartment complex so i can't change my oil myself... this sounds like an easy way for dealers to be sheisters - all you have to do is back off a couple of the valve cover bolts a turn, it won't make a big problem right away, but you'll bring it back and that leads to a larger service (that they either bilk you or ford for, depending if it's under warranty or not).

damn, i can't wait until i can rent or buy a house, and start taking care of (some of this) stuff myself.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
zetec03
The winter package includes: heated seats, traction control, and an engine block heater.
bfocused

1 - 20 of 20 Posts