Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stinks when the engine is running at idle and not moving. It comes through the vents. I thought it was my EGR valve where it connects to the EGR cooler as I bent the face on the cooler side, but I think I've absolutely bodged that with some sealant and that no longer leaks. It had loads of soot around that area but since I put the sealant on it, which is white, its remained white.

What I did notice today though, isafter travelling 230 miles from Middlesbrough to Faslane, I opened up the bonnet and there was a bit of smoke, but I couldn't see where it was precisely coming from. But its around the injectors I think. I have fuel on the base of the injectors the one on the left and side as you look at the engine from the front of the car, and the 2nd one from the left.

I took a photo but its really bad, might have to take another one tomorrow.
Light Automotive tire Black Font Pattern

It sounds like there is a leak somewhere around that area too but I couldn't feel or see anything. It was like a little hiss every time the car ticks over. I'll try to get a video tomorrow.

The car in question is a Focus Zetec 1.6 Diesel. 2010 model.

I currently drive with the vents of the car on recirc as I don't fancy catching a mild form of death!

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Taken a few more photos today, also scraped out a bit of tap which was at the bottom of injectors 1&2 (Driver side). So probably had this leak for a while but recently got worse. Soaked up some of the fuel too, will check that again on Friday when I've driven
Shoe Automotive tire Hood Tire Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Automotive exterior

Light Automotive tire Black Font Pattern

Shoe Automotive tire Sports equipment Product Motor vehicle

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Synthetic rubber

Motor vehicle Font Personal protective equipment Metal Close-up

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Automotive fuel system Auto part

Shoe Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grey Automotive exterior

back home.

Think I'm just going to wack it into a garage and get them sorted.

·
Registered
Ford Focus SE Sport 2003
478 Posts
I’m not sure diesel models were sold in North America but if you have an oil or cooling leak touching a hot part, it may very generate some smoke.

I gave an advice to someone lately. When your car is parked at night, put some newspapers or an old blanket under your car and check the next morning if something dripped.

When the engine is hot, the dripping will burn but when it’s cold, you may notice a small leak.

·
Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 173k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 194k miles
4,134 Posts
At least being a diesel you will burn to death slowly. May even have time to get out of the car. Driving with a fuel leak is asking for trouble. Fix it or park it.

·
Registered
18,470 Posts
If any part of the flex exhaust pipe is around the firewall line then a cracked flex section can do that smell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts