Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday we turned on the AC heard horrible noise from blower motor. The noise stopped after about 30 seconds. The next day the smell started. The noise had been a live mouse in the blower when we turned it on. I spent six hours today in high heat removing blower motor and duct work and cleaning out gross dead mouse parts. We spent lots of time cleaning blower blades. The smell is still bad. I did find the main mouse carcas about 65% of him. All of this was caused by no cabin filter installed. The plastic grate that ford puts in place of the filter has holes large enough for a small mouse to climb right through. Anybody have any ideas how to get the smell out? It is so bad that we can not drive it. I guess we can park next to the garbage dumpster like someone in FL who had a bad smell!

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Reading my friend, is a wonderful thing. Yes there was.

Thats tough though. First youre gonna need to find the other 35% of it then maybe I suggest baking soda? I know someone has a better solution.

Shoot and I was gonna crack a joke like "deadmau5 is the only type of mouse Id want in my car"
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
that smell is absolutely tough to get rid of though. I wonder if this would be a good time to try that lysol odor eraser stuff? Anything else would be just like the commercial.... Except instead of covering fish with flowers we'd be covering blended mau5 with flowers.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Ouch.. My aunt had that in her honda. Once we got the parts out, we put them in a giant vat of soapy water with about 20 lemons worth of lemon juice. Let them soak for a day, and voila.

They had to deal with lemon smell for a few weeks, but it was far better than rotting rodent.

·
Pimp'n ain't easy
11,215 Posts
i use this stuff called fabric.I have heard of firefighters useing it to get the smell of smoke off their clothes and it works amazing will get rid of just about any smell (i use it in my apt when i smoke inside and inside my car) Spray it into the floors seats and headliner of the car. Leave windows rolled up for a few hours and check. May take a few times but should kill the smell. My apt doesnt smell like cigarette smoke...( my roomate is a non-smoker and can back me up)

\

im sure you can find it at any pet store walmart walgreens (not sure my roomate bought it i can ask him tmrw)

hope this helps

·
Registered
624 Posts
so was there a dead mouse in there?
[poke]

I had given a friend a ride home once 200+ miles and he made my car stink badly thanks to heineken and some mexican food. It took a lot of febreeze and linen scent lysol to make it nice again. It also meant leaving the sunroof open as often as possible.

you might have to bomb/saturate the vent tubes to get to the source

do you know how the mouse got in?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had that problem in the van I just traded in. It is impossible to get out. Depending on where the mouse was, a new cabin air filter is needed, and I had to keep the in cabin circulator on. If I turned that off, it got worse. But a lot of febreeze. And if you can take apart your dash and wipe out the ducts with lysol. Good luck, but I think you are hosed. :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the replys. Yes, we did purchase a cabin filter and removed the plastic grill that Ford had put inplace of the filter. We also put two containers of fragrance on top of the cabin filter. I too think we will have some of the odor forever. I think this winter when we turn the heat on, it will be worse than the AC. It has been 90 degrees each of the last two days making it worse. I might try a couple of the products that you guys recommended. We have moved the Focus out of the attached garage as we dont want the smell in the house. Thanks everyone!!

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
To completely get rid of the smell you have to pull out all of your duct work and heating parts and clean them thoroughly with a heavy duty cleaner. Otherwise it will linger and linger until all of the organic material has completely decomposed. Even after that it will probably hang around until it all comes out of the plastic.

Good luck, man. That sucks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When we got our 2003 SPI SOHC last month there was a petrified mouse and mouse house in the air cleaner housing. The intake hose had separated from the nozzle on the front grille and I guess that's how the little bugger got in there. The nest was in the resonator housing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
mouse in car

I have recently had the upholstery damaged in my 2007 Focus: shredded foam and fabric and visible damage to the top of a rear seat.
Now that there are so many very clever people designing cars, would it be possible for them to attack the problem of rodents entering, by whatever means? I've read of this problem occurring in much more expensive cars than my little Focus. Not rocket science, surely!!

·
Registered
17,459 Posts
Not as long as they think plastic screens that can be easily gnawed through are a good enough deterrent.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
I like DeadMau5.

·
Registered
4 Posts
the mouse gets its come-uppance...

The mouse was caught but in its death throes it managed to drag the excellent plastic trap so that when I drove out of the garage I ran over it: mouse, trap and all, and broke the trap. Cunning, these mice!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
"Build a better mousetrap & the world will beat a path to your door".

some things never change....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts