Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I noticed a problem for a few months. This only happens sometimes, but is getting annoying because it happens a few times each week. I am smelling something coming from the engine. It smells kinda like a burnt smell, and I can really smell it good when I am stopped. Sometimes I push my car, but even when I shift around 3k the whole ride I can still smell it. It isn't terrible, but it does get annoying where passengers point it out, and I don't really know what to tell them. I change my oil when I am supposed to, or maybe a tad bit later, but even after that I can still smell it. I doubt it is the exhaust either. Any ideas on what I should do or check?

Thanks!

·
Registered
504 Posts
might be your coolant is dripping on your hot tranny, a symptom of a leaky thermostat housing

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually had a coolant leak, where I was loosing coolant at a decent speed. But it was fixed a month or two ago and now is holding coolant? Should I check anything?

·
Registered
30 Posts
What kind of smell is it? If its a sweet smell you are leaking antifreeze (maybe thermostat housing) if its a burning oil type smell it could be coming from your valve cover gasket leaking oil onto the exhaust manifold. I have had to replace both. If your valve cover is leaking oil it will also run down the side of the block by the thermostat housing causing the o-ring to swell and no longer seal it to the block causing a antifreeze leak too. Well hope this helps? [thumb] (now go figure out where its coming from)[wrenchin] btw if your passangers can smell it, it shouldn't be too hard to find.

·
Registered
504 Posts
make sure ya dont have shit stuck onto your cat, i ran over some garbage apparently and had a nice black splotch of junk baked onto my cat which was causing the smell issues.

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
Does it happen everywhere or just one place in town? I thought I was burning my belt, but it only happened when I drove past a certain grocery store. After checking my belts every day for about a week, I noticed a work crew on the side of the building. I went to check it out, turns out they were putting fresh tar on the roof lol. I felt like an idiot.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'd put money on the valve cover gasket. I smelled burning oil after freeway trips (usually when I stopped at a light after getting off the freeway) for a few months before I finally replaced the darned thing. It's fairly easy to do and it only costs about $30 for the new gasket. Just make sure you clean the area before you install the new one, and your burning oil smell will go away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts