Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, I'm new to this forum and firstly like to say hello to all members
and introduce myself, so hello!

I have recently bought a Ford Focus 2002 1.6 Ghia and it was in desperate need of a service, so I changed the oil along with the oil filter, changed the air filter with a brand new coil pack also and put new leads and sparks in it and finally stuck some injector cleaner into the full tank.

The only thing I haven't done yet is the fuel filter, but everything else has been changed.

Now here is my problem..... When I haven't started the car for a few hours or a day I start the car and it coughs and splutters for a few seconds and sounds like it's struggling to fire up, but once started the revs come up and it settles down perfectly, however if I turn it off and restart in small space of time it cranks up very quickly without this issue at all.

Also when cold for the 1st few minutes when driving it tends to nod and jerk a little and eventually it goes away, however when you go up a hill and ask for power (even after few hours of running) you get a small nodding sensation like it's not quite being smooth and doesn't quite want to go.

Generally on the flat or on motorways the car runs like a dream for an old car that has only done 84,000, but you only seem to get these issues when cold or when using gears for power e.g. hills or pulling away from lights.

I did this full service hoping this would resolve the problem and am quite frustrated that 95% of it's done, but nothing has improved at all before I touched it and the car doesn't run any differently.

Is there anything else I have missed or could anybody help with what this problem might be as it's cost me over £300 on decent non-cheap parts already, but all I want is a smooth running car!

All help would be greatly appreciated.[twothumbs]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm hoping somebody technical may come to my rescue eventually!
I know it's early days and only posted my thread earlier today, so not being impatient
but 81 hits so far and no reply yet! :)

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
This is generally a North American based forum and the 1.6 engined cars weren't sold here hence the lack of responses. So all I can offer are some generalities:

A running engine with a lack of oomph usually falls into one of two categories: a hesitation, hiccup or stutter in which case the problem is usually electrical in nature; a "bogging" or failure to rev in which case it's more likely fuel or fuel pressure related (same kind of response as you get when you run out of gas).
Whenever the engine is put under load - such as climbiing a hill or pulling strongly from a dead stop - any system that is marginal usually begins to display its weaknesses.
You state you haven't changed the fuel filter yet. On North American 2.0 l cars, it's recommended to do that every 25K miles. Since the filter is awkward to get at (kinda), it's often ignored. A restricted or dirty filter could be the cause of or at least contributing to your problem.
I'd do that bit of maintenance first and go from there. My $0.02 (or 1 pence)...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts