Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed the pass few months that when i'm at a stop and holding the brakes the car will shake and the head lights will dim, it also shakes when the radiator fan kicks on. But if I put it park and let off the brake pedal it'll stops but it will still shake when the radiator fan kicks on. So it only does it during electrical draws. I have three guesses either the battery, or alternator needs replaced, the engine needs to be grounded better, or the idle is set too low. My question is can I even adjust the idle or is it electroniclly set like the ford rangers are, do they make an aftermarket ground wire kit for the SPI. or should I just look onto the obvious and replace either the battery or the alternator. What do you think??

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Two things,

1. Clean the existing grounds.
2. Have the alternator tested on the car. Any parts store should be able to do this.

It does sound as though the alternator isn't providing enough amperage at idle. But if a ground is not well the same thing can occur.

Far as aftermarket ground wire kits, make your own, isn't that difficult. Look up 'the big 3' for more info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts