Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a 2.0-2.5L small block v8 that would fit a focus? I'm going to strip my car out for racing and want to put a small V8 in it. Both Ferrari and Chrystler made a 2.0 and 2.3L v8 years ago and I'm trying to find a company that makes a new one that size.

Also trying to convert my focus (2009 North American model) to Rear wheel drive. Anyone know how?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think I can fit a 4.6. I don't think I can fit bigger than a 2.5. I could be wrong but I think that's what I have read

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm alright. 4.6 liter?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm. Ur right! Do u know what engine most are using? I wonder how hard the conversion is.

Also do u know about RWD conversion? FWD with a v8 wouldn't work well

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
It's about 5k bucks for the conversion kit, you have to provide the motor and the trans but the kit comes with everything you need, rear axle and front subframe. It's just pricey and most that can fab stuff make their own stuff most of the time. Most use the Ford 4.6 DOHC or a 5.0 and some even have put a LS V8 in one. The options are really up to you on what you want to use.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where can i find the kit? And the kit converts it to RWD?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
V8 conversions are ALL RWD, you're basically making a Mustang from a Focus.

RWD mid engine V6 has been done, how wild you go is up to your imagination/budget/skills.

Take a look in the Showroom section for examples.

P.S. - don't know that that kit is still being made...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help bro. I want to go the v8 route. The smallest v8 I can find that fits well.

·
VEKTOR PLATE
5,657 Posts
no one really makes a v8 that small anymore. why are you wanting that small of an engine anyways? a properly built 4.6 can spin pretty damn high for rpm if thats what you are after.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm looking to keep weight down while still having the torque from a naturally aspirated engine. Small v8, if I can find one makes the most sense

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Majority of all modern motors are light compared to v8's of the past. Aluminum heads, and some even have aluminum blocks as well. Your not saving much weight by going smaller displacement, just seems more like a giant hurdle that's not needed.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I still prefer to find the smallest v8 I can find. It seems I am not going to find one smaller than 3 liters.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ya I feel it. I'm going to do some more research on engines and see what's good. Thanks for ur help. I'll let u know when I know more

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Good luck with your search, I'm sure you'll find something you'll want to use. Oh maybe look at Japanese Luxury cars? They came with small V8's that should be all aluminum and light. The Lexus LS400 or GS400 comes to mind, they had small V8's.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's a good idea but I don't picture Lexus engines as being built for racing abuse. lol. I could be wrong but they seem to be built for power and smoothness. Even a standard Mercedes-Benz engine isn't built for that. AMG on the other hand or an IS-F engine would be legit

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Actually they're Toyota engines and yes they can handle some abuse as they do make some parts for them. Just because a engine isn't in a sports cars doesn't mean it's not going to kick butt and take names. Plus it'll be as smooth as butter lol

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I'll put it this way. Would you feel more comfortable racing a BMW 750i engine or a LS460 engine? BMW obviously, because they build their engines for "spirited driving". I still don't think Lexus builds their standard engines for racing conditions to the degree that bmw does. Furthermore, ford makes the mustang v8 for racing style driving because who has a v8 mustang for smoothness LOL

1 - 20 of 41 Posts