Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am happy with the pzev"s preformance from 4000-6000 rpm,but off the line its a dog. Any suggestions that wont void ford warranty?Maybe im just used to my 5.0.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
haha yeah your 5.0 is definitly going to perform a little better. lol. all i can say is start with the intake exhaust combo, then go pullies t/b and header/flex. there is no real quick fix for sluggish starts. the closest youll come to a quick fix is the t/b which really improves throttle response, that definitly helps the starts some.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
the throttle body has been shown to be a zero gain part, and pullies a re a very dangerous part to install due to the fact that this is an interference engine.

Start off with a intake and then an exhaust.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
aero_student said:
the throttle body has been shown to be a zero gain part, and pullies a re a very dangerous part to install due to the fact that this is an interference engine.

boooooooring. haha the tb may not give much hp but is concusively one of the most popular mods to the focus due to the incredible improvement in throttle response. it is still to date my favorite mod to my car

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
aero_student said:

aero_student, I've read your posts over here and I believe you know what you're talking about. When you say the TB is a zero gain part, I think you are talking about gains measured on the dyno. I've seen the dyno charts too, and I understand the TB doesn't give any HP increase. However - don't forget, all dyno runs are done at WOT. In other words, the dyno doesn't show you "throttle response" type issues because the throttle is out of the picture. The best way to measure throttle response would be to do some rolling acceleration runs (not from a standstill, because launch technique adds a big variable). Grab a stopwatch, head for an empty road, pick a gear, and time yourself pulling from 2K to 4K or something to that effect. Make multiple runs and take the average. Do this before the mod, TB or whatever, and again after the mod.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
liquidzx5 said:
I am happy with the pzev"s preformance from 4000-6000 rpm,but off the line its a dog. Any suggestions that wont void ford warranty?Maybe im just used to my 5.0.
Well, duh. It ain't a 5 liter engine. Unless you go forced induction, pretty much any performance mod on the 2.3 is going to give you the biggest gains at the upper end of the rpm band.

Maybe you should get some really sticky tires and dump the clutch at 4000 rpm. That ought to take care of the sluggishness.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I am just saying that cost to performance the intake is probably a better place to start than the throttle body. I think we need to get rid of one restriction at a time and to me it makes sense to roughly follow the airflow through the engine. The throttle body in the duratec 23e/pzev is basically the same one that is in the svt and can handle airflow quite well; at some point it will be the bottleneck, just not yet.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
aero_student said:
I am just saying that cost to performance the intake is probably a better place to start than the throttle body. I think we need to get rid of one restriction at a time and to me it makes sense to roughly follow the airflow through the engine. The throttle body in the duratec 23e/pzev is basically the same one that is in the svt and can handle airflow quite well; at some point it will be the bottleneck, just not yet.
It took a few dyno charts to convince me, but I have now come around to admitting the stock intake is a big restriction. But, liquidzx5 is complaining about lower-RPM performance. There isn't a whole lot that can be done about that, short of forced induction. All the intake and exhaust bolt-on mod's apply best to high-rpm, WOT performance. Don't forget that if the throttle isn't near or at wide-open, then the throttle itself is the biggest restriction in the system! Therefore airflow mod's just don't matter all that much if you're only running part-throttle.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the input. What is the best intake and t/b for the money to go with.And in response to didhefocus,if you think its great off the line then you obviously havent driven very many fast cars!(sorry had to say it)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Interesingly enough, I borught up the lack of torque below 1500-2000 rpm in the summer of 2003 when I got my PZEV. Guerro (I believe) told me that it is due to the engine just being a four-banger.

However, since than I tried getting of the line in an 02 ZETEC with a 5-sp and the thing moves just fine, while on a PZEV you have to rev it up quiet a bit.

It is not a major problem, IMHO, but I do still stall the engine and I own my Foci since August. Anyway, it is a fair trade off for gobs of torque 23E has if you ask me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts