Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i just went outside to move my car, i put my steeda 8mm spark plug wires on, i put em on right and made sure they are in, when i started my car, during idle, it was kinda like a bumby feel, when i put my foot on the gas to rev, it felt like it wanted to die, when i started to drive, it did die, and the exhaust was making a back fire sound. wtf is up? i mean i had to keep the rpms high and my foot on the gas just to move it!!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody know why this would be happening?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
AMZ-double check the wires and make sure you didn`t miss a plug. Sounds like you may have missed a plug.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i'll make sure they r in nice and tight tommorow, if it doesnt snow which im hoping it doesnt because i wanna put my FC 2 piece pulley kit on and i also need to put my steeda spark plug cover on. This is wut sucks bout winter, n up in NH it is in the teens, ****ing cold!!

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I have Steeda spark plug wires and haven't had a problem yet. I would double check them and make sure they go down nice and tight!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
just make sure everything is tight with spark plugs and the wires. by the way it will take a half hour if you have another person to help you install the pulley kit. That damn tensioner is hard pull back with one hand while the you use your other hard to slip the belt on.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Did you check to make sure that you put the spark plug wires to the right cylinders? thats the first thing i would check...

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea I put them to the right cylinders, i made sure they were by making steps, doing one by one, shortest to longest

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aight, I just went outside to my car, made sure the plugs were in snug and tight. I started the engine and it took awhile to turn over, at low rpms the car feels like it wants to die, I took it for a drive down my drive way, when I moved it, it really felt like it wanted to die. Before I took it for a drive, well the engine was still running, I did another check to make sure the plugs were in right, pushed em down. I don't think it is the plugs that are causing this, the reason I think this is because when the engine is running, and you pop the hood, you'll see the engine moving back and fourth just a little, not much but when when I had the engine running and checked to make sure the plugs were in tight, the engine was moving back and fourth AAAAAAALLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTT. You couldn't miss it, it was moving back in fourth like 2 inches or more, shaking like hell.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
yeah. it's all in the plugs/wires. i had the same problem. when i had my zx3, i had focussport wires on it. went fine. but one day, i decided that i wanted to get rid of them, and go back to my stockers. so i pulled the focussport wires out, and installed the stocks. started it up, and it was doing EXACTLY as you are talking about. i freaked, and took it to my dealership, thinking that it was something else. they called me about an hour later, and let me know that it was the plug wires. they just weren't attached properly. nothing was damaged or anything like that, it was just that the coils weren't connected to the plugs well.

so... pull out the wires completely, and reinstall them, one by one, making sure they are on there good and tight. this IS the problem, so there's no sense getting all worked up, thinking that it may be something else. [:)]

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea but I don't think the plugs would be causing the engine to move back and fourth really bad. Like somone is shaking the hell outta it.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
trust me. it's all in the connection between the plugs and your wires. little sumpin' called misfiring. that'll cause the engine to shake like hell.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, here is a diagram I made of the cylinder and the ignition. Can someone tell me what wires should go where so I can make sure they are in the right place?

1 = Smallest Wire

2 = Small wire

3 = Long wire

4 = Longest wire

So If someone can tell me what wires go to What, that would help alot.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
OK---You got them wrong.. Open the hood standing in front of the motor . looking at the coil the top left is #1 the top right is #3 the bottom left is #4 and the bottom right is #2 You got the cylinders right though

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
each individual wire should only be a certain length, so there is no confusion with which one goes where because, well, they can only reach to certain points. [:)] you most likely have them all connected to the right spots, but the connection may just not be seating right.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok well the diagram I showed wasn't of how I set it up, but I did have them in the wrong place. Started it up and it ran fine [:)], took it on a drive and it drove good [:D]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts