Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only had my SVT for about 2 weeks, and I've noticed that when ever I turn on the AC the car gets really slow. Is this common?

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Well, most of the time, yes. The a/c compressor really has alot of drag on the engine. These cars dont have alot of torque down low and the a/c just makes it worse.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
An underdrive pulley would help but if you dont have a tuner to kick the idle up, you may have charging issues while idleing. Most UDP will affect the charging but if you kick the idle up to about 950-1000rpm, its fine. Just noticed also that youre very close to one of the best tuners there is on these cars, Wayne at Hypnotic Illusions Automotive in Winder, GA can help you with that.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Yeah, I have an UDP and Waynes tune and I still bog off the line with the A/C on but it's not nearly as bad as when it was stock.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
The above suggestions are correct, it will be much better than stock.

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
My SVT had a supercharger from the factory......it was the AC "OFF" switch, lol. But yeah, common on 4 cylinders to bog when the AC is on since they have such low torque.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
This has happened to all the 4 cylinder cars that I have owned/driven.
The compressor just sucks the life out of the poor little 4 bangers.

·
Registered
426 Posts
the compressor shuts off automatically at WOT just fyi

·
Registered
210 Posts
You gotta try my A/C Unit. No WHP loss at all!!! You can get it anyware. It's called a 2/65 A/C. However, I will say that in rain it sucks pretty bad. Also can cause some loss of aero dynamics at higher speeds.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yeah, I dont know about you guys, but our AC systems shut down on full throttle....havent you ever noticed?? Try it, turn on AC, and romp car, feel the air coming out of vents. If yours doesnt do that....um, it should...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have the exact OPPOSITE problem... my tune kicks up the idle too high when the A/C is on. I have to be careful when I decel, cause if the a/c cycles on it will suddenly surge forward.

This is with Wayne's tune (both street and highway) I don't have that problem on the stock tune, the car doesn't even seem to notice the a/c on the stock tune. Admittedly, I do have the UDP set, but I had them listed in my mods when I ordered my Xcal2.

I guess I should ask Wayne to back down the settings he has for 'a/c on' with my car, but since I have never successfully been able to use the software for the Xcal2 (datalog OR tune downloads) its a moot point. I guess I could send my XCal2 back to him and ask him to load a new tune, but thats just a pain.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts