Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
it's not the valvecover, but i torqued the nuts anyhow (they were tight). the best i can figure out it's coming out somewhere below the accessory belt tensioner, near the bolt mounting it to the engine. the oil goes down on the alternator and bottom of the engine. i don't know how long it was a problem as i purchased it 2 months ago. had to add 0.5 qt oil in 2,800 miles to bring it to full again.

thanks for reading!

edit: 2014 SE 5spd with 122,000 miles

edit 2: I did some searches here and looks like timing chain cover leaks are common in MK3 and this could be it indeed. quite expensive to fix too. any chemical fixes? would high mileage oil like maxlife help some (supposedly they swell seals)?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Well I've had my focus for almost 4 years now and I still have the leak your asking about. I did the re-torque and it only lasted about a year then it started to leak again so I've been running 10w 30 in my focus for awhile now and my leaks slowed down a lot. I refused to pay the insane price to have the timing cover re-sealed. November of next year I'm getting rid of my focus. I'll have it paid off a year early.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Timing covers are generally just there to keep dust out. If you have oil leaking into that area and you get the cover sealed up such that it doesn't come out any more, that means it is building up in that area and you are just covering up what could be a serious issue. Kind of like turning up your radio to drown out a klunking noise coming from the engine.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Timing covers are generally just there to keep dust out. If you have oil leaking into that area and you get the cover sealed up such that it doesn't come out any more, that means it is building up in that area and you are just covering up what could be a serious issue. Kind of like turning up your radio to drown out a klunking noise coming from the engine.
I think the 'Valve' and 'Timing' covers got confused in this post, right?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts