Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have an 05 zx4. The engine turns over but not fast enough to start. Already replaced the battery and starter, I took the belt off none of the bearings are bad on the pulleys and I put a ratchet/socket on the crank and it turns over free. Any ideas why it won't crank fast enough to start?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
How slow is it?

What does the voltage drop to as it cranks? (low voltage when cranking can have a lot to do with not starting)

Cables can be a problem with poor connections/damage/corrosion. They don't have appreciable excess capacity to compensate for those problems.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
How slow is it?

What does the voltage drop to as it cranks? (low voltage when cranking can have a lot to do with not starting)

Cables can be a problem with poor connections/damage/corrosion. They don't have appreciable excess capacity to compensate for those problems.
Listen to this advice.

If everything checks out good, pull the starter and have it tested.

Test before wasting money on unnecessary parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just put a new starter and battery in it. It's cranking slow enough that it won't start or even want to. (Acting like a dead battery or starter) I went on vacation for 4 days and when I came home I have this problem. No issues at all before. I cleaned the battery and starter terminals when I put the new parts in as we'll. are you talking voltage drop at the battery when cranking?? It also has a viper remote starter, could that have anything to do with this?

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Not familiar with that battery box or battery size there but if you had a choice of more than one CCA battery and bought the lower CCA (say 3 year battery instead of 5 year) like so many do at least part of your problem if not all. People did that all the time at the part store and then come right back claiming the counter guy sold them incorrect battery when we were all trained to go over this with them. They will almost ALWAYS go with the cheaper battery now and it causes nothing but endless issues as they change suggested part after part after telling everyone the battery is 'new'. Once helpers assume battery is not the issue the problem will NEVER be solved.

Do the battery volt test or get ready to throw away plenty more money.....the twice mentioning now of new battery has that all over it........it's quite obvious you do not have any reserve power by your description.

Cable condition and terminals as well. You didn't clean them if you didn't take them apart yet so many make that mistake. Check alt, starter and battery output at the parts store, they do it for free.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts