Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 focus titanium. Been having transmission problems but while I was trying to resolve that I let it sit for about a month and how it will not start at all. It cranks but very slowly an painfully. While in a rush to get it running I already replaced the battery and starter. Will full charge the battery shows 13.1v but when I crank it drops to around 10v sometimes lower. Did a bunch of other tests, fuel pump is working etc when I decided to see if I was even getting a spark. Got a spark tester and looks like I am getting not getting anything at all on any of the coils. Zero spark on all of them. Confirmed the tester is good with the wifes car.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Picked up a ThinkDiag 2. Showing no codes right now. Stripped and cleaned the main body ground by the battery and the 2 grounds for the trans under the air filter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Check your compression.
I have a 2013 Focus that was running fine, no issues but for one transmission issue where it lost 6th gear for a few minutes. It was a company car for my employer, so we took it to the shop we take our cars to. It sat for 6 months because he basically didn't want to work on it. I bought it for cheap, went to start it, dead battery. Replaced the battery, very slow crank. Cleaned the grounds, still wouldn't kick over. Had it towed to a shop willing to look at it, and I'm told the timing is gone. Well, timing was actually okay, but it lost valve seals in the head for some reason. My guess is these engines aren't fond of sitting once they have some mileage on them, but I haven't got a definitive answer as to why they failed yet. I was leaking compression from two cylinders.

If compression is okay, could be a crank position sensor or a cam position sensor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would that cause it to get no spare at all from all of the coils though? Or for the voltage to drop from 13v to 9v when you first try to get it to turn over?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Would that cause it to get no spare at all from all of the coils though? Or for the voltage to drop from 13v to 9v when you first try to get it to turn over?
I'm not an electrician, but the voltage will drop when it's running the starter.

As far as no spark, I'd look into the cam and crank position sensors. If they aren't lining up/working, the car can't "see" the cam and crank, and won't send spark to prevent it from hurting itself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts