Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am not super car savvy (I can change a tire:)). I have approx now 1,500 miles on my new 2012 hatchback. I was wondering if anyone has been experiencing any issues with going from stop to go - lately at lights for the last two days I feel like I have to pretty much floor it and fly up my rpms to keep up.

Same thing with merging onto the highway. I am flooring it just to get up to speed. Once up to speed the rpms stay down. I am heading to the dealer tomorrow because my rear left tire keeps loosing pressure so I will also inquire about this then. I was just wondering if anyone has had similar problems. Never had this issue with my old 2009 focus.

thnx!

·
Registered
80 Posts
i have about 1000 miles on mine, and i was just recently (within the past 200 miles) thinking the same thing. that it seems like i have to floor it for any response from a stop. i'm also getting SHIT gas mileage...wondering if the two go hand and hand.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Gotta let the vehicle break-in!

I'm at 5,000 miles and I can manage 38 MPG in the city, 45 MPG on the highway.

I know it sounds ridiculous but after 3,000 miles and the addition of premium gasoline, my MPG skyrocketed.

The kysor shutters help TREMENDOUSLY!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Gotta let the vehicle break-in!

I'm at 5,000 miles and I can manage 38 MPG in the city, 45 MPG on the highway.

I know it sounds ridiculous but after 3,000 miles and the addition of premium gasoline, my MPG skyrocketed.

The kysor shutters help TREMENDOUSLY!
I'm not seeing nearly those kinds of MPG numbers... when I tried premium it drove my MPGs down so no more for me.

Also, OP, check the build date of your Focus, it's on the sticker inside the driver's door jamb, if it's before august 12, youre going to need to have the dealer reprogram your transmission via TSB 11-10-2. You will have a spot that says the month/year and then below theres a line thats something like XX110812XX which would be, 2011, August 12.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well crap, just looked at my door and it looks like I will need more today than just the tire looked at. I will need to do some more research on this. Will the reprogram fix it? Thank goodness for this site. :D

·
Registered
232 Posts
Well crap, just looked at my door and it looks like I will need more today than just the tire looked at. I will need to do some more research on this. Will the reprogram fix it? Thank goodness for this site. :D
Can't promise the reprogram will fix it; can say this -- my SEL has a September 21 build date and the tranny is smooth as butter off the line with gentle accelerator pressure.

·
Registered
164 Posts
and the addition of premium gasoline, my MPG skyrocketed.
Premium fuel will do nothing to help fuel economy or performance in a vehicle designed to run soley on regular fuel. A vehicle that requires premium does so because of a higher compression ratio, therefore requiring a higher level of octane. There have been many studies done on this. Some newer vehicles may make more hp on premium because the computer will allow more timing in the motor, but you won't see any benefits to mileage.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/premium/myths.html

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/regular-or-premium

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/autos/aut12.shtm

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=fact-or-fiction-premium-g

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
As per Owner's manual - page 354, here is what premium fuel does (as Ford implies):

Octane recommendations
Your vehicle is designed to use
“Regular” unleaded gasoline with a
pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.
Some stations offer fuels posted as
“Regular” with an octane rating
below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with octane levels
below 87 are not recommended. Premium fuel will provide improved
performance
Now, I know it is not saying it will improve "mpg", but in my case, using 91 octane fuel, I do feel a better response when driving a bit more "spirited".

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Hello,

I am not super car savvy (I can change a tire:)). I have approx now 1,500 miles on my new 2012 hatchback. I was wondering if anyone has been experiencing any issues with going from stop to go - lately at lights for the last two days I feel like I have to pretty much floor it and fly up my rpms to keep up.

Same thing with merging onto the highway. I am flooring it just to get up to speed. Once up to speed the rpms stay down. I am heading to the dealer tomorrow because my rear left tire keeps loosing pressure so I will also inquire about this then. I was just wondering if anyone has had similar problems. Never had this issue with my old 2009 focus.

thnx!
If you let the break pedal and wait 1.5 seconds before flooring it, does it feel the same?
Yes, the poor mpg is related to how you 'floor' it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am a granny driver and usually just gradually accelerate. However the last few days just doing that I am being left behind and of worry at getting hit from behind on lights :) Today I drove around though and no problems with my regular driving habits. Maybe just a fluke and the car getting used to me? I averaged 39 mpg today? weird.

·
Registered
164 Posts
As per Owner's manual - page 354, here is what premium fuel does (as Ford implies):

Now, I know it is not saying it will improve "mpg", but in my case, using 91 octane fuel, I do feel a better response when driving a bit more "spirited".
Yes, my F150 was like that too. And in my new Mustang, I can put regular unleaded in and it will do the opposite - retard timing and make a bit less hp as a result.

So that's pretty cool for sure.

But there will be no mileage benefits IMO.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts

But there will be no mileage benefits IMO.
I don't mind that at all. My Focus, after 2000 km, gets better and better mpg even if its almost winter time. In fact whatever mpg better than 20-22 (I had on my last car) is a plus. [cool]

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I would recommend the tranny reprogram. I got it done and it has improved.

Premium fuel will do nothing to help fuel economy or performance in a vehicle designed to run soley on regular fuel. A vehicle that requires premium does so because of a higher compression ratio, therefore requiring a higher level of octane. There have been many studies done on this. Some newer vehicles may make more hp on premium because the computer will allow more timing in the motor, but you won't see any benefits to mileage.
However, this article says hot weather (e.g. Arizona), will lead to a drop in MPG - but (for the Cruze, anyway) bumping up to 89 (or 91/93) may help your gas mileage if it stops your engine from retarding the ignition timing. That's my 2 cents. I'm using 87 in the winter - haven't decided what I'll use for the summer yet. Worst case scenario, you spend an extra couple bucks on premium and notice no difference.

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtes...ot-weather-mpg-test---regular-vs-premium.html

1 - 14 of 14 Posts