Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The shifter in my focus seems extra sloppy for such a new car (2500 miles on it), just wondering if they are all like this or what. Especially in 1st gear the shifter moves from side to side about a half inch each way.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Mine feels the same ... *shrug*

·
Registered
344 Posts
my zx3 has 3000 miles on it, and from day one the shifter will not go into 2nd when it is cold, once the car warms up (10 minutes max) it will go into 2nd, no problem, so i have been bypasssing 2nd and shifting from 1st to 3rd waiting for the car to "get broken in". the manual shifter sucks on a stock focus. i have not bothered to fret over my cold 2nd problem, ie. going to the dealer and "fixing" it, for i am planning on replacing it with a short-shift anyway, i think that would remedy the problem, from what i have read.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
1. Focus shifter is cable driven from the tranny to the car cockpit. So, there's room for slop.
2. I've notice that shifting period is rough when cold but I've never had any issues getting in to any gear.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I'd get it looked at.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My car also goes hard into 2nd when cold, but only when its exceptionally cold like last week when the high temp here was 1.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same problem getting into second when it is cold (this morning 3deg). My first shift to second wouldn't go in.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I seem to have a reverse problem with my MTX. When its very cold out, my tranny does not want to be in first at all. Until it's warmed up I have to shift immediately to 2nd and it will not downshift back to first unless I am at a DEAD stop. I have had it looked at, and there dont seem to be any problems, so I just dont go lower than 2nd if its not warmed up. As far as sloppiness, I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary about it. It does have a little "give" to it, but I have driven several other cars like that so I never paid it a second thought. As long as the gears take I'm not complaining...although...I still want a short throw kit[}:)]

·
Registered
65 Posts
it the way the trannies are made...if you dont like the lose, sloopy feel just buy a short throw shifter i got one and it bad ass...it makes racing so much easier[}:)]

·
Registered
847 Posts
This aint no Ferrari, it's normal

·
Registered
270 Posts
for the people who have difficulty getting into second when cold try double clutching... it worked for me when it got real cold here in MA but now it has warmed up a lil bit in MA and i don't have that problem anymore.

·
Gan-San!
2,769 Posts
you might want to have a look at your shifter cable... mine felt like that a couple months ago, and once I down shifted on the highway (it took a while 'cause I down shifted a lot at the time) I broke it. I couldn't get it into 3rd at high rpm(like going onto the freeway).

·
Registered
99 Posts
7,200 miles on mine and I've noticed that despite the abnormally long throws I quite enjoy the MTX. I had some qualms with it at first, but since it rarely dips below freezing, I've never noticed any sort of stickiness. The only complaint I've got is that it feels quite akin to shifting through a vat of congealed mayonnaise.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts