Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Thanks for taking the time, I just purchased a 2009 focus SES with 77,000 miles. After driving it for a couple of days I noticed there is more of a vibration when idling than I am used to. I have read some of the other threads on here that talk about vibration in idling, but mine doesn't feel as intense as what I am reading. I am wondering if its possible it just vibrates more than I'm used to, or if any vibration is a bad sign? It's nothing that shakes the whole car or anything crazy, but its a rougher idle than I am used to. Just wondering if some vibration is normal and if it would be obvious if it was vibrating at a bad level? If that makes sense... Haha! Thanks, any help would be appreciated!!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Welcome to FF, Monica. Can you compare your car w/ another focus? With those miles it could be possible you need a passenger motor mount= psm. If you replace it use a ford/motorcraft mount only.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply! comparing it to another focus is a great idea! I will try to find another one to take a test drive it to get a feel of a normal vibration.

Is this not something that a dealership would check for during their inspection? Also looking over the warranty I purchased, just wondering if the psm is an engine mount or what? Sorry not that knowledgable about cars!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^^^ agreed

If it seems to start & run fine, no check engine light & fuel mileage is reasonable you don't have anything to worry about.

The passenger side motor mount can cause more vibrations as it ages, replacement isn't needed until it gets bad enough to be a bother to you.

If it has more vibrations at idle when first started than after it warms up that also points to the mount being the only problem. Mine will do it more in cold weather, still goes away when warm so it isn't an annoyance yet (that way for more than a year now).

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
More idle vibration was the first symptom of a bad pass side motor mount on mine.(75k miles) If I put it in neutral, it got better. Six months later, additional symptoms appeared and I changed the mount.

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
They called it, you will know when to change them. These cars have done that since introduced years ago, Ford removed one mounting point to save money and has been p-ssing off hundreds of thousands of customers since, yet they refuse to acknowledge that, they'd rather keep the million or so the extra mount costs. These are 3 point mounted, the older 4 point mounted cars never vibrated like this at all using same type engines, and didn't need the added complexity of hydro mounts that then fail rapidly to make you buy more of them. A Ford plan for more part sales throughput......................

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hi!

Thanks for taking the time, I just purchased a 2009 focus SES with 77,000 miles. After driving it for a couple of days I noticed there is more of a vibration when idling than I am used to. I have read some of the other threads on here that talk about vibration in idling, but mine doesn't feel as intense as what I am reading. I am wondering if its possible it just vibrates more than I'm used to, or if any vibration is a bad sign? It's nothing that shakes the whole car or anything crazy, but its a rougher idle than I am used to. Just wondering if some vibration is normal and if it would be obvious if it was vibrating at a bad level? If that makes sense... Haha! Thanks, any help would be appreciated!!
Welcome to the forum!

I recommend heading to your dealer and having a technician drive along with you; they'll be able to tell you if it's within spec or if they need to check it out more in depth.

Meagan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts