Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy All!

First off just wanted to say "hey!" to everyone here, this is "officaly" my first post so im looking forward to getting to know everyone around here =)

Well heres my first (of many) question:

I have a lovely Ford Focus 2003 Panther Black, and shes fantastic! However she does have the odd scratch around the wheel arch edge, the door edge and the bonet, really hairline scratches nothing that you can notice once stood back. Really you would never know they where there but i do so i need to sort it =P.

So basicly what do you recomend to "touchup" the paintwork without having to goto a Pro? Please note that im based in the UK so all that (great?) american products might not be avalible here =(

Well thanks for all the help in advanced,

Cheers,

JakReloaded

·
Registered
549 Posts
welcome jak.....if the scratches arent down to the primer you can use a light compound wax on them before you wax your car...and i see you posted about an alarm....i dont know any uk brands....over here in the u.s. the only one i like is Clifford alarms....not sure if they are availible over there......

mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey CAIS95!

Thanks for the quick reply, im not sure how far it might have gone down however they are now "silver" so im feeling that it has hit the primer. However in regards to the alarm thanks for that il have a hunt on the net now.

Thanks,

JakReloaded

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Take a close look at your slight scratches.... if they're white instead of silver then the scratch is only in the clear coat and should clean up easily.
I think that if the scratch was down to primer - first you should be able to feel it when you run your finger across it - and second I wouldn't call it "slight"!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Oh, and welcome to the list! Lots of good info and good people here! [thumb]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey mvhudson!

Thanks for the reply! Well they arent deep it looks like it might be just the "clear coat" you mentioned...so how would you advise (best) to restoring her? I know that you can get like Paint Pens but they always leave an un-even surface and look awful imo. Any ideas?

Thanks alot,

JakReloaded

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
imo.. try using the meguiars 3 step wax process... one step cleans the clearcoat, removes all old wax... step 2 polishes the clearcoat, and step 3 is a wax to protect.

if not.. i would try going to the auto store near you, and getting a small ammount of touch up paint. NOTE: the "pen tip" and the "brush" they provide with touch up kits are too damn big. only if you were painting model cars would you need a brush that big. the kind of brush you will want to get is a very, very, very fine one. this way the touchup job doesnt look like crap

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yeah just use a good polish, or a scratch specific polish like "Scratch X" and buff it out. dont give up with just one try, although you dont want to over do it. Make sure you put a few coats of wax over that area. If they are way deep use touch up paint and use a fine tooth pick instead of the included brush.
Toothpicks are usually better for chips but I have tried it for scratches also. As long as you take your time and use a small amount of touch up paint at a time, you will be fine. -But it doesnt sound like you are deep enough to worry about touch up paint.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you are trying to remove scatches by hand Scatch X is allright I had it work on some stuff but not others. I like Autoglym paint renovator, hand only application and it is very aggresive I only like to use it on spot issues. If you are needing to apply paint. Check out autopia-carcare.com, they have an extensive online how to archive for car detailing, and by far the best how to on paint chip and scatch repair.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
THE ONLY STUFF TO USE IS THE 3M scratch remover... It is the best stuff to use and altought a little pricey at 12.99 for like an 8oz. bottle it works great even on pretty deep scratches. Just to sense and hope it helps.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
buff it out, wax it,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts